Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting the truck ready for towing season.

My only issue with my truck over the last few years is oil temp.

My edge insite will read 230-240 on a hard climb. (Then will drop back down to 200)

Any suggestions? Radiator is stock with over 220k miles. No leaks, but the fins have seen better days. Recently put in new water pump and coolant flush.

I just ordered parts for a transmission service, and fuel filter. Transmission temp has never been an issue at all. Only oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mishimoto w/ zerex g05 2 bottles of surfactant I.E. water wetter drain the block and run filled with water in between. Also add a filter inline to the trans cooler it’s free filtration.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
300 dollars. they are good quality and mishimoto is really easy to deal with if there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
A factory replacement radiator is all that is needed, if your overheating with that then you have other problems.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Dp tuner tunes run more advanced timing Then just about everybody. More heat, not as much power, riskier scenario.

how much are you towing?

many 1999 with an oem radiator and a 6.0L trans cooler hasn’t hit 240 in oil in pretty much forever and the trans temps are 25+ degrees lower with the trans cooler. Super common mod for 7.3l.

a wicked wheel 2 turbo wheel will spoil a little More psi and help the overal powerband during heavy towing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should weigh in sometime. I am usually towing with DP tow tune. Although seems to run just as hot when I flip the DP tuner to stock...

I actually removed my cold air intake and sold it last summer. It was causing massive turbo surge and I would have to back waaaay off the gas on hills. Now back to factory air box I can push MUCH harder, which in turn my only issue is engine oil temp causing me to back off. I really didn't want to put a wicked wheel on. It was already plenty loud with intake.

Maybe I just need to slow down. :) I just haven't seen people complaining about their 7.3 having high engine oil temps. I seem to be one of the few.

I have considered the bigger transmission radiator, but the tranny runs plenty cool. Never an issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
The wicked wheel 2 is not louder than stock. It’s designed to eliminate turbo surge esp while towing heavy. A couple pluses. Few more psi boost we’ll within limits to not hurt anything and an ever slight

stay away from spectra.

there is something else going on here. What are you towing? Combined trailer/cargo weight?

how old is the coolant and water pump?

have you changed the fan clutch? You should be hearing the fan 100% of the time from 210 degrees and above and it’s loud

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok - you might be onto something I would like to investigate. The fan seems to be very odd at times. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it comes on. It's obvious when it engages, but there are plenty of times I'm running hot and it's not turning on. For instance it might turn on for a few minutes around 210, drop it to 200 but then I climb up to 230 with no fan at all. What can I replace? Solenoid controlling this? I have never considered this the issue, so I will starting researching.

Water pump is maybe 2.5 years old. I bought the very expensive antifreeze I read all about on this forum when I replaced it. Could only find it at Napa. Think it's orange? I still have half a gallon in garage. So I think I'm good there.

EDIT: looking like I should be tossing my money at this: Amazon.com: Motorcraft YB-3157 Cooling Fan Clutch: Automotive

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Towing heavy with a tune and a stock airbox is not something I would do. What are your EGTs with that setup?

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Spectra is fine to use for a replacement radiator, lifetime warranty and I have put them in other vehicles and never had any problems.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Towing heavy with a tune and a stock airbox is not something I would do. What are your EGTs with that setup?
I am mindful of my EGTs and watch them very closely on my gauge. As long as I drop down to 3rd gear on a hill, they are never an issue. It's only if I lag it. The engine oil temp on the other hand....

Mind you I had a full S&B cold air intake. But that was a disaster for the few years I used it. I literally couldn't use more than 50% throttle without massive turbo surge. So it's gone. :)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If the oil temp is the only temperature issue unfortunately there isn't much you (we) can do, when I was towing my 5th wheel through the mountains I was seeing oil temps in the 220-225* range, and then it came down soon after I was out of the mountains. I really wish someone had a aftermarket oil cooler kit for a 7.3L because I'd buy one.

PS. On a side note, I HATE THE NEW FORMAT OF THIS FORUM!!!!!

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
The fan clutch on a 7.3L in mechanical. I would replace it at this point. When your oil is 240 and the fan is not on it’s not working correctly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the oil temp is the only temperature issue unfortunately there isn't much you (we) can do, when I was towing my 5th wheel through the mountains I was seeing oil temps in the 220-225* range, and then it came down soon after I was out of the mountains. I really wish someone had a aftermarket oil cooler kit for a 7.3L because I'd buy one.

PS. On a side note, I HATE THE NEW FORMAT OF THIS FORUM!!!!!
Amen. So odd. Haven't been here for a bit, but I'm struggling.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fan clutch on a 7.3L in mechanical. I would replace it at this point. When your oil is 240 and the fan is not on it’s not working correctly.
Ok - that is what I needed to know. I'm going to toss a new one on. It for sure is often not on when I'm very hot.

This is something I had not considered. Thank you for bringing it up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok - that is what I needed to know. I'm going to toss a new one on. It for sure is often not on when I'm very hot.

This is something I had not considered. Thank you for bringing it up.
I would only use a Motorcraft unit. The cheap ones are crap. Stick with oem on this one. Summit has about the best price. Look it up on Rockauto and them use the part number on Summitt.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts