Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our Unhappy 2004 6.0L is now reasonably happy after a complete rebuild, upgrade and component replacement. It ran for 4 miles and stopped. It started a bit later, so we tried again; 2.9 miles and stops. Suddenly, did I mention it stops Suddenly? After a little trouble shooting, we find 12v with the engine off and 11.5v with the engine on. Charging system issues is the diagnosis and a new alternator (the only part not replaced during the rebuild) is installed. Same problem and symptoms. We trouble shoot and find the Orange/Blue wire that is supposed to be hot is not. Everything points to the fusible link; symbolically, but not actually at it. Does anyone out there know where the fusible links for the alternator wiring are located? My first diesel rebuild came off without a hitch, except for this. Any advise on this Ford Monster would be appreciated. My Ford is a '65 Shelby GT350 and it does not have any fancy wiring. In fact I thought the nice thing about diesels is no fancy wiring; fine print says they are referring to the ignition system.
Manic Mike

·
Administrator
34,297 Posts
scroll around this for images

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Nice to have a '65 GT-350. I have two '66. Technically, with the remote regulator, the '66 charging circuit is more complicated.

The fusible links are off the passenger battery positive terminal, grey in color. Orange/Blue is the sense circuit and the thinnest of the grey fusible links.

Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Floor plan

My alternator/battery light video.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOOHHHHH...Thanks for that. We could not find the links because the wiring had been wrapped in Tessa tape (heat/abrasion resistant). I'll attack this in the morning, with a place to start now. Thanks again!!
Manic Mike

·
Registered
673 Posts
If your batteries are old I would replace them as well. Sounds like they have been discharged and by now they are junk. I would not bypass the fuseable link if it is bad I would replace it. Post a photo of your GT350.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that you mention it, the '65 Shelby has a similar charging issue. Maybe Ford's charging systems need help. We moved the F350 to get the Shelby down so Dylan (the Young Helper) could play with it. It seems that the sensing wire (always 12v) definitely does not have 12v. Off to tear up the wiring harness.
Manic Mike

·
Premium Member
8,804 Posts
gotta love fuse links when they start to lose connection -- well really no, ...I don't like them at all

Battery acid and wick up the wires and cause corrosion inside the insulation -- that is a reason to always keep the battery connections clean

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the record, just about everything is new including the batteries & alternator. The wiring has been cleaned up and wrapped in Tessa tape for protection. Damaged wiring has been properly repaired (I am an electrician among other things) and the connections have been cleaned prior to reassembly. Actually, I'm a little obsessive/compulsive with mechanical and electrical parts condition (perfect is okay). This is an 04 F350 super duty dually.
I've tracked one problem down to the sensing wire (orange/blue), which is not showing power. We've torn apart the wrap and conduit on the passenger battery wire and are not finding fusible links. I have a single large cable (about 1/0) leaving the battery, then going down and another wire crossing the radiator brace to the drivers side battery.
Could the links be in a different position?
Can I run a fused wire from the battery to the orange/blue line? (not my first choice!!)?

And it looks like there are more responses to our plea for help...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the last post, the battery wires and terminals are clean and are not showing signs of corrosion or problems. This looks like a Fusible Link Nightmare.
Manic Mike

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Actually, quite simple. There are five fusible links, grey in color, and should be visible. Unless they are covered in Tesa tape, which fusible never should be.

Two parallel 12ga fusible links go to the Glow Plug Control Module. Two parallel 12ga links are in series to the alternator. There is one 20ga link for the sense circuit. All are off the 6ga wire to the passenger positive terminal. I have extra wires from there.

Ford likes to run the sense circuit towards the battery; sometimes, they run to other locations, like the cable to a Central Junction Box. Other times they can be internal to the voltage regulator or have been a short loop from the alternator output to the voltage regulator connector. That's easily done on these trucks if someone wants. But it's not the design.

Car Motor vehicle Fixture Steering wheel Steering part

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Bumper

Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Ford colors the fusible links grey, but they do not have to be that color. The fusible link only has to be a few inches; the rest a typical SAE insulation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I admit to a bit of obsessive overkill when it comes to neat and clean; especially wiring. And the owner did mention "how are you going to fix the wires if you wrap them is Tessa Tape?". It never occurred to me that I would have to fix the wiring a Second time; learn something new every day. I replaced all the engine wiring harness with Ford parts, so I really don't want to cut anything up.
My problem is a lack of fusible links on the Cable at the Passenger Battery. It is an '04 F350 super Duty Dually, single 110 amp alternator, 6.0L.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

This is the cable to the starter at the battery, with all the original flex conduit, wrap and Tessa Tape removed. There are no links in site. A small cable enters the harness about a foot down, but this does not seem to be involved (is my stupidity here?). There is a single cable traversing the radiator support on its way to the driver side battery (all wrapped in beautiful Tessa Tape).
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

My quest at this point is to locate the sensing wires junction with the power source (Pass. Battery cable or other). Any more thoughts and advise would be appreciated. Thank you one and all for the support so far. This community has made my first Diesel restoration a fun ride! And the Motor is Beautifully clean and supremely functional (besides the charging issue).
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Yes, the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is missing for the charging system surgery.
Manic Mike

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
The next time you take a harness out, it might not hurt to take pictures of where everything goes.

The wiring diagram above does not show anything about a starter cable. A starter cable would probably need a dozen fusible links, so starter cables never have fusible links.

This appears to be your missing cable.

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

It gets connected here to charge the batteries and get a voltage to the sense wire. I have two other cables connected to there.

Light Motor vehicle Steering part Gas Electrical wiring

Hopefully, the bare eyelet did not ground onto anything if you had the engine running.

Edited - Spellin.

·
Premium Member
8,804 Posts
Good catch on that, Jack (y)
yeah, the fuse links are in the wire that comes from the alternator to the battery

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the arrows in the picture and the red wire all bugged me and I could not sleep. So, at 2:15 am I got up and looked at what the arrows were pointed at; a 6g cable labeled BATTERY blissfully unattached to anything (and uninsulated too!). I am guessing that the terminal labeled BATTERY should probably be on the Battery terminal. Actually, I am pretty positive (hee hee, I couldn't resist) that the terminal labeled BATTERY needs to be attached to the battery and not flopping around the engine compartment (hot or not). Obviously it is time to get Too Many Toys a Thank You 6 pack! Fortunately I am more relieved to find my problem, than I am embarrassed by the beginner mistake. Did I mention that I've been a professional problem solver (of last resort) for complicated mechanical and electrical equipment for the last 30 years? Learn something new every day!
Manic Mike

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
We all make errors and sometimes very obvious ones that just need another set of eyes.

Middle of the night, investigations and pictures are a norm for me, that nagging itch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It amazing. Simply connect the charging wire between the alternator and passenger battery and the charging system mysteriously starts to function properly! Thank you for the help!!!
Manic Mike

View of the wire between the alternator and battery installed
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I admit to a bit of obsessive overkill when it comes to neat and clean; especially wiring. And the owner did mention "how are you going to fix the wires if you wrap them is Tessa Tape?". It never occurred to me that I would have to fix the wiring a Second time; learn something new every day. I replaced all the engine wiring harness with Ford parts, so I really don't want to cut anything up.
My problem is a lack of fusible links on the Cable at the Passenger Battery. It is an '04 F350 super Duty Dually, single 110 amp alternator, 6.0L.
View attachment 786477 View attachment 786477
This is the cable to the starter at the battery, with all the original flex conduit, wrap and Tessa Tape removed. There are no links in site. A small cable enters the harness about a foot down, but this does not seem to be involved (is my stupidity here?). There is a single cable traversing the radiator support on its way to the driver side battery (all wrapped in beautiful Tessa Tape).
View attachment 786478 View attachment 786478

My quest at this point is to locate the sensing wires junction with the power source (Pass. Battery cable or other). Any more thoughts and advise would be appreciated. Thank you one and all for the support so far. This community has made my first Diesel restoration a fun ride! And the Motor is Beautifully clean and supremely functional (besides the charging issue).
View attachment 786479
Yes, the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is missing for the charging system surgery.
Manic Mike
Where's the smaller cable that usually connects to the passenger battery for accessories power/generator sensing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts