Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some Insight, I have an 06 f350 6.0 lariat fx4 with electric shift 4x4 was headed down the road going about 50 and went to give it a little fuel and I heard a loud pop, and the power loss to the rear wheel was instantly gone. No grinding or whinning gear noise. Now that I towed it to the house I started it and put it in drive and you can hear a consistent click/tick in any gear. The truck tries to pull and you can feel it move ever so slightly. I checked the fluid and there is no color change but it smells like a burnt clutch, anyone have any ideas on what the issue may be?

·
Administrator
29,367 Posts
you may have lost a hardpart like a shaft (ticking is the sheared halves rolling over the fracture and explains the load pop ) ( WAG )

the burnt small may be normal if you are not familiar with the smell of Mercon LV/SP ( not that it has a burnt type smell normally but it has a unique flavor IMO )

you do not have a flashing tow haul button ?

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Possible transmission failure?
can you shift the t-case into 4x4 or Low?

I suppose it really don't matter, need to pull the t-case and tranny -- see which one is failed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the flex plate and torque converter that went. Thank you for your help on narrowing down the issue and helping save some money.
Now my next question, I have a 07 fx4 f250 with a blown motor should I just swap out the complete tranny or just the torque converter and flexplate?

·
california deplorable
10,639 Posts
if the other trans is known good i would just swap it in personally...
of course i suck at trans stuff so...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts