Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
I think your on the right track with the fuel -- the other readings tho off a little should work

screw the IPR valve back together, should be fine -- the valve should only be tightened to about 10 - 15 foot pounds

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,870 Posts
If your fuel pump is bad, you can change it out individually (and a fairly easy job). You do not have to cahnge out the entire HFCM.

Fuel pump number (Racor or Parker-Hannifin number since Ford does not sell the pump by itself): PFP58054

Other numbers if you are in a bind:
HFP964 - Delphi
AIRTEX Part # E2340
Spectra Premium SP114 - Rock Auto

·
5,870 Posts
I think your on the right track with the fuel -- the other readings tho off a little should work

screw the IPR valve back together, should be fine -- the valve should only be tightened to about 10 - 15 foot pounds
Oh MAN! I was going to hit him up for that valve!

Reactions: Hydro

·
5,870 Posts
The fuel pump will automatically shut off after a period of time. It should start back up by simply turning the key off and then back on again.

20 seconds sounds a little long for the fill, but I am not sure of the secondary fuel filter bowl capacity compared to 20-24 ounces. As I posted above, the fuel filter bowl should fill in 5 seconds.

·
5,870 Posts
BTW - a very well cared for engine area you have there! Very clean.

·
5,870 Posts
Well, that fill rate sounds close anyway. It still may not pump well under pressure though. I would suggest getting a pressure gauge on that hose you have on the top of the filter housing cap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I pulled all the injector connectors and reconnected them one at a time for individual click testing. The third one back on the driver side is not clicking. I tried two connectors. I've been able to start it with more than one bad injector before. I'm going to take a walk to O'Reilly to see if they have a pressure gauge I can borrow.

·
5,870 Posts
Well, you have several things going on. It all adds up. You have borderline ICP pressure. Who knows about fuel pressure, and at least one injector spool valve not working. I can see that being enough to cause a no-start.

Hopefully cranking with low voltage hasn't caused issues with the FICM.

·
5,870 Posts
As far as a pressure gauge goes, you can put a schrader valve in the end of a hose and check it with a tire pressure gauge. Probably the cheapest way to go.

Home Depot has the schrader valves, so does Ace Hardware.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, you have several things going on. It all adds up. You have borderline ICP pressure. Who knows about fuel pressure, and at least one injector spool valve not working. I can see that being enough to cause a no-start.

Hopefully cranking with low voltage hasn't caused issues with the FICM.
Do you really think the injection control pressure is an issue? It's getting well over 500 psi crankingl since I replaced the IPR three days ago.

·
5,870 Posts
As I posted earlier - 52% IPR when cranking is not normal IMO, at least for a sustained crank. You may have a small leak on one injector and it is adding to the spool valve issue on another. One by itself may not prevent starting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
While cranking I think I noticed FICM Sync toggle from 1 to 0 once so I pulled it out to look at it. I attached a picture of the connector. A lot of bare wire. The sensor was missing the upper oring so when I go into O'Reilly's in the morning I'm going to pick up a new one. Any clue why they have a sensor listed at $40 and the connector at $54?

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
While cranking I think I noticed FICM Sync toggle from 1 to 0 once so I pulled it out to look at it. I attached a picture of the connector. A lot of bare wire. The sensor was missing the upper oring so when I go into O'Reilly's in the morning I'm going to pick up a new one. Any clue why they have a sensor listed at $40 and the connector at $54?
Which connector? Also, yeah, that's got to be fixed, quit F'ing with it until that's fixed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It's starting. I replaced the CPS and patched up the connector with tape. Also, checked the fuel pressure (70 psi). Thanks again all.

·
5,870 Posts
FYI - the 7.3L cam sensor is called a CPS. The 6.0L one is called a CMP.

Glad it is fixed!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts