Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 and since day one I've noticed clanging in the front. I finally found that it was the tie rod ends and drag link. I took it to the dealer and they found it all loose and no grease. They ordered all new tie rod ends and drag link. Well, guess what they installed. They installed the what appears to be factory rod end etc. It is lacking a zerk. fitting and it has no grease and they still clang around. I have another appointment with the dealer on Wed. I'm afraid they will tell me they can't do anything for me and my 2.5 lift and or the tires I just installed caused this. What do I need to do to make all the clanging to go away. Do I need to buy aftermarket in order to get zerk fittings?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I grab my steering stabilizer and push it up and down. I assume this is connected to my tie rod ends. When I push this up and down, the tie rod end rotate in the socket whereby I hear a clang, clunk or bonk. This is a metal to metal sound. The issue is there is no grease in the ball joints. Is there a different technology that you do not require ample amount of grease in the ball joints?

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
I grab my steering stabilizer and push it up and down. I assume this is connected to my tie rod ends

I don't have a 2017+ myself. The steering stabilizer is usually attached to the drag link bar. This drag link bar runs from the pitman arm to the upper point on the axle steering knuckle with a tie rod end.

There are tie rods are lower on the steering knuckles (left and right) connected across the front of the axle side-to-side by a single bar (adjuster).

Yes, new technology has been around for quite awhile that has eliminated the "need" for a grease zerk on tie rod ends.

As I stated you can exchange the tie rods for aftermarket ones that require grease more frequently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya well as it turns out, on the 2018 up the steering stabilizer is fixed. It does not move, hence the rod does not move and does not clank the tie rod ends. I have a Carli steering stabilizer and it's allowed full motion. Therefore I will get a clank or two as I drive. Yippy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 and since day one I've noticed clanging in the front. I finally found that it was the tie rod ends and drag link. I took it to the dealer and they found it all loose and no grease. They ordered all new tie rod ends and drag link. Well, guess what they installed. They installed the what appears to be factory rod end etc. It is lacking a zerk. fitting and it has no grease and they still clang around. I have another appointment with the dealer on Wed. I'm afraid they will tell me they can't do anything for me and my 2.5 lift and or the tires I just installed caused this. What do I need to do to make all the clanging to go away. Do I need to buy aftermarket in order to get zerk fittings?
I’ll take it back to ford and have them repair under warranty. No matter the lift it shouldn’t make that noise. Or check with the company that did your lift.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased this truck new and shortly after I started hearing noise up front. I wrote about it looking for help. I thought is was the steering stabilizer. The dealer thought it was the steering components and replaced them. They then decided to blame it on the 2.5 Carli lift and the taller tires. This is where I gave up. Finally I couldn't stand the rattle anymore the other day. I finally found the front drive axles have enough play that they bang back and forth. I zip tied the axles so there were no play or movement. I was both relieved and pissed off at the same time. I found the issue, now what do I do about it. The dealer will probably blow me off. I am calling them now.

Anyone have this issue. What did you do to get rid of the rattle noise. Metal to metal clunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts