Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How long has your truck been tied up waiting for and installation of Fuel Contamination Kit?

• Less than 4 weeks

• 4 to less than 6 weeks

• 6 to less than 8 weeks

• 8 to less than10 weeks

• 10 to less than 12 weeks

• 3-4 months

• greater than 4 months!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2020 F550 with 5600 miles on it and the High Pressure Fuel Pump failed. Cause of failure is being attributed to water in the fuel. Not getting anywhere with a warranty claim, thats another problem. The worse issue is, the Fuel Contamination Kits are on back order. There are roughly 800 units needed.

My question is, how long have people been waiting for these parts, and subsequent repair time. Trying to get a sense duration, and what other owners have been told. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It sometimes takes months for us to get parts - assemblies and "kits" like this high pressure fuel system or transmission overhaul kits for example seem to take the biggest hit on availability ... usually due to one or more components not being available.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did they show you the parts that failed? Where did you get your fuel from? It's not impossible to get a bad part in a new truck. Did they show you the fuel? I have a 15 and have bought fuel in almost all 48 states and have yet to have a fuel problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they show you the parts that failed? Where did you get your fuel from? It's not impossible to get a bad part in a new truck. Did they show you the fuel? I have a 15 and have bought fuel in almost all 48 states and have yet to have a fuel problem.
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have visually looked at the Fuel Pressure Control Valve and a photo of the Fuel Volume Control Valve. Both show very minor, light signs of rust. The claim is these should be totally shiny with no rust indications. I don't have anything to compare it to. Have you inspected many of these? Do they always come out perfectly shiny? Also there are chips on the VCV, which I understand is a classic indication of a pump failure.

Another problem I have, is there a sensing system that alerts of water in the fuel. This warning did not work. My contentions are the system to protect a catastrophic pump failure was defective, therefore I could take no preventive action.

Any of this make sense?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There is a water in fuel sensor but the CP4 seems to be so sensitive to water and stuff, that from what most people coming on here asking about or complaining about, it doesn't come on. I hope you can find some resolution for this from Ford but I doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks,

The water in fuel dash light did not illuminate. Very frustrating. The CP4 pump is not robust, or another way to say it, Is intolerable to variation. A poor design no matter how you slice it IMO. The PCM noted a code six times about water in fuel. Did no good. Dash light never came on. Another frustrating point.

Ford denied warranty claim.

·
Administrator
32,970 Posts
Denied under what claim? No warning no nothing how does one fix issue that didn't show up until too late? Did you run a fuel additive?
exactly this is a big pile of BS and ford has been getting away with it . some have luck with their auto policy covering it but if I owned one of these I would have an aftermarket solution in place

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Denied under what claim? No warning no nothing how does one fix issue that didn't show up until too late? Did you run a fuel additive?
Ford denied the warranty due to "Contaminated Fuel". A small amount of water was noted, and the very minor rust on the components above was enough to say it was contaminated with water. No warning from their water sensing system however!

No fuel additive used. What additive is recommended?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Two points:
  1. The problem for many dealing with this type of failure is water dispersed in the fuel which is difficult if not impossible to detect or effectively filter out without expensive equipment.
  2. Ford Motor Company did not put the water in the fuel that was pumped into your truck. Nor did they put DEF in your fuel tank or any other contaminant for that matter.
More thoughts:
The idea that Ford's denial of warranty claims WHERE contaminated fuel is determined to be the root cause is BS, is BS. When this occurs, my best advice is to contact your auto insurance agent to see if the damage is covered under your policy and most of you might be surprised to find most insurance companies will cover the repair. I have yet to see a claim denied on trucks that I have repaired where the customer went that route. They covered water damage, accidental DEF contamination and in one incident vandalism.

As far as dispersed water in ULSD your best defense is any fuel additive that adds lubricity AND demulsifiers that help cause water molecules too small to be filtered to stick together to form larger droplets that can be filtered out. Avoid any fuel additive that contains alcohol which will have the opposite effect. One good product is Stanadyne All Weather Performance Formula (they have other formulas that do but not all so read the information) as well as many other brand's products - do your own research.

Your fuel conditioning module is designed to provide reasonably effective protection against water in in fuel however any truck system will be easily overwhelmed when it comes to a large amount of water or DEF in the bottom of the fuel tank when it is picked up and forced through the filter and passes onto your injection system. In this case there is nothing you can do because it happens just too fast, warning or no warning.

As for the Bosch CP4 fuel pump that is a whole different discussion itself which I am certain has been beaten to death here and in other forums.

·
Administrator
32,970 Posts
Can you recommend an after market solution?
my comment is a solution to prevent not repair

i would have a prefilter DIESELSITE - DIESEL MAINTENANCE and PERFORMANCE

and probably a after pump collateral damage prevention
search 6.7 disaster prevention

I think ford did a bad job on this ,, we halve had folks on here with no water in fuel separator and getting denied for this situation

·
Premium Member
11,799 Posts
DieselSite kits cannot be used on the 2017+ trucks...so that's not going to help. Ford moved the lift pump internal to the tank. Seems like they have made a better filter/water separator for the newer AlumiDuty trucks.

5,600 miles....you got bad fuel and "rust" on internals. There's NO other way to explain it unless something else failed.....think about it.

Otherwise I'd hold this as my point to force warranty coverage:
The PCM noted a code six times about water in fuel.
Not to mention make them test your sensor to see if it does in fact illuminate the warning.

"Just cause" the tech found "rust" and "possible contamination" doesn't mean they can't be forced to double check that the system is alerting properly.
Without double checking the water in fuel sensors they are getting over on you especially when the PCM shows alerts as you so claim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts