Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my oil cooler in the mail today and the flange on the thing is bent. Think it will be ok if I try to staighten it? Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
No, that's a bent oil cooler.

I wouldn't trust it, file a claim to get it paid for before its too late. It's too hard to change to risk it IMO.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is Toast....

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
No really tho... If you dont have insurance I would try to contact the seller and see if they may help you out with a return. If not then you could try and bend it back but its gonna be hard to do without breaking it. If you get it close I bet it will be ok since you have a O-ring that seals that connection.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
no insurance on the package. I think I'm screwed.
If the seller would of packaged it properly, it wouldn't be bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
No way would I put in the time (or the labor costs) to put that part in the truck. It isn't worth it for me. I would first check with the seller, then I would eat the cost and pick up another one. To me its not worth the risk.

Next time ensure the package is insured, hard lesson learned. Was this a private seller, or a vendor/parts joint?

·
Administrator
30,832 Posts
even some shippers have a base included insurance even though it's usually only $100.00

and if it was an ebay purchase through paypal the seller is on the hook for the damage

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The seller was someone from my home town. My mom sent it to me and didn't insure it. And the box was jacked up pretty bad. I was worried when I saw it, and sure enough. I'm thinking I'm going to give it a go, and check for milkshake. If it does it will give me a reason to have some drinks and year her back down. I don't really see where that flange has a purpose other that retaining an o ring. Time will tell I guess.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Just ship it back to her and insure it this time.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just ship it back to her and insure it this time.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.
Good call :woot: problem taken care of .

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I would not install that. That oring seals coolant from between the coolant passage and the oil cooler cover weep hole. When it leaks it will leak coolant externally from the oil cooler cover.

I will take a pic of what I'm talking about

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey thanks sinner! I'm pretty good with metal. We'll se if I can straighten it. If not it is what it is. Just my luck though. Now that 500 bucks for head gaskets arps and an oil cooler isn't as good as a deal as I thought it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts