Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice from you guys with experience. Im about to buy an 08 f350 ccsb 6.4 lariat. The truck seems perfect condition and has 58k miles on it, one owner. Ive been wanting to buy a diesel for a year and defiantely dont want to spend the money on the 6.7. im looking to spend about $20k after trade in and im trading in my 07 f150 lariat with 54k miles. hopefully get somewhere around 17k trade in on my truck.

Anyways, is this a good move? Should i be worried about anything major happening soon with the truck. It will be my "clean clothes" truck so only my off work driver and play truck, but now and then ill use it to haul hay or livestock but usually will use the work truck for that. I will immediately do straight pipe exhaust, tuner, intake, and wheels and 35s for tires. just want to make sure this truck will be a smart decision or if thats too many miles to have on it and plan on putting another 60k miles or so on it before trading again.

Thanks for the help!
Nic

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A good idea would be to find out if the maintenance has been kept up on it. Lack of maintenance is the action that will cause the most problems on these newer diesel trucks. Also the emissions equipment causes issues to if it is used as a "grocery getter" but if you plan of deleting that stuff then I would be most concerned with fuel filter changes, oil changes, coolant upkeep if it still ha he ford gold coolant etc. Also could see if it has had any major warranty work done to it like turbos, hpfp, etc as you could also just be buying someone elses lemon. The ford dealer should be able to help you out with some of this info if you are getting it from a dealer. I wouldn't be too worried about the mileage myself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
58,000 miles is not very much if it is taken care of. I bought my 08 a little over 2 years ago and it had 92,000 miles on it. DPF/CAT Delete, Intake and Tuner a few weeks after I bought It and it now has almost 142,000 and it is running great. No major problems what so ever. I see no reason why if this motor is taken care of it shouldn't be able to make it to 250K+. I plan to keep mine until then at least.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also, if you are saying you will be spending 20K after getting 17k for your current truck that sounds way to high. Hell I paid 26K two years ago for my truck and it is a Extended Cab (not crew and also slightly more miles, but over 2 years ago too) Lariat with factory 20s and other extras.

·
Registered
994 Posts
post link for truck so we can see bud.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are getting a diesel (6.4) thinking you are going to get unreal power and great mileage youll get half of that. These trucks are amazing with just a tuner, intake, and exhaust. BUT.... the fuel efficiency wasnt there the day they made this motor.

I got out of a 5.9 dodge getting 20+ mpg all day into a 6.4. I absolutely love the truck. It is a much better truck, it is built so much better. And with $1200 and an afternoon of youre time you turn a huge truck into a sportscar. As long as you realize that owning this truck you will spend ALOT on fuel when you take off on road trips youll be fine.

I would honestly say talk to people face to face that own these trucks. go for a few rides and ask all the questions. I hate to say this but look into dodges, I had pretty fair luck with 2 of them (both 5.9 motors) but the last one the AC went out, whole other story. But the 6.7 is a good motor.

Maybe you might be better off to hold off till after the 1st of the year and get a 2011 ford that gets a little better mileage. But the 6.4 after dpf and egr delete i have a feeling will be bomb proof.

·
Registered
149 Posts
forgot to add that you should be able to find just about any model 6.4 you want for 25-28k. I wouldnt pay any more than that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There's a 2012 with 19k on it right near me for 37k CC sb 2wd loaded...sun roof..navigation...you name it!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
136 Posts
Keep yer hands off it too!!! I'm trying to convince the wife she really wants that 6.7 and not a new F150 :banghead:

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts