Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 6.0. I was replacing my standpipes and dummy plugs with an xdp set. I removed the rear driver side standpipe and its not much longer than the dummy plugs but the standpipes i got are about 12" long. I've heard of the standpipe coming apart in 2 pieces but this one has the orings at the bottom and looks complete. Is the pipe I pulled out correct for my year? An old style maybe? I'm not at the vehicle but before I pulled this pipe I noticed the pipe and plug on the drivers side were 2 different sizes. The pipe i pulled was 12mm and the plug was a smaller Allen size. I haven't pulled the plug yet and I haven't removed the passenger side cover yet to compare.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
The rest of yours is still down in the engine
It's separated at the connection

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shouldn't have to remove that "plug". Only dummy plugs and standpipes. Unless you identified a leak at one of the plugs. You will have to remove oil rails to retrieve the lower portion of the standpipe. Esspecially on the passenger side, even for assembly you will have to install lower portion of standpipe, then install oil rail, than thread in upper portion of standpipe into oil rail. Lots of oil on o-rings! Torque dummy plugs and standpipes to 60ft/lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be driving and it shuts off. Won't restart until it cools. The longer it sits and cools, the further I can drive before it shuts off again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You will find a bad o-ring on the lower standpipe im guessing. Keep diggin! Usually the last one a guy pulls out, so it keeps you guessing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry, completely overlooked the fact its shutting off while driving, you may have bigger issues than just a failed o-ring. Inspect nipple cups and top injector o-rings once oil rail is off. What year of truck? Any other high pressure oil system work?

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Injectors were installed with the old style dummy plugs and stand pipes? -- not good
when you put the oil rails back on, there is a small bleed plug on the top -- take that out and crank the engine over to bleed the air out
will make starting the truck much easier, rather than cranking, cranking till the air is pushed thru the injectors

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you do not find a smoking gun upon removing standpipes and inspecting your injector o-rings and nipple cups in the oil rails, should look at the STC fitting on the HPOP. If it is original, it would be suspect and best to update to newer version. Sure sounds like you have a substantial leak for it to stall when hot. Could pull the IPR and inspect screen also.

If you dont want to take a bunch of shots in the dark, get it back together with new standpipes and then either air test system or get it running with a means of monitoring the ICP and IPR % to verify.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got it torn down doing the oil cooler and egr delete. I replaced the icp, ipr screen and orings. So your saying to do the stc fitting while its already torn down?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You betcha, verify its the old style STC fitting, the original and prone to failure is a Snap To Connect (STC). Updated is a solid unit with a jam nut on it. If original definitely update to newer version while you're in there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it is worth, I had a similar symptom on my 05 Excursion. Towing boat and motor would just shut off. Wait till it cools and it will start and run for a bit. Longer it cools, longer it would run after. Took a huge towing bill to a great mechanic that found that some injector seals had leaked some diesel fuel into the oil supply. When the fuel and oil get hot and get mixed, the HP oil system does not function correctly. When it cools and separates, starts right up. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
For what it is worth, I had a similar symptom on my 05 Excursion. Towing boat and motor would just shut off. Wait till it cools and it will start and run for a bit. Longer it cools, longer it would run after. Took a huge towing bill to a great mechanic that found that some injector seals had leaked some diesel fuel into the oil supply. When the fuel and oil get hot and get mixed, the HP oil system does not function correctly. When it cools and separates, starts right up. Hope this helps.
Fuel leaking into the oil will thin the oil out -- but the oil and fuel will not separate -- once mixed together, they stay mixed
when the engine cools, the viscosity of the oil is higher, so the pump and system can handle it better -- a worn pump or leaking oring will not handle low viscosity oil well

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is updated fitting yes. I wouldnt pull pump and fitting off until you have oil rails off and standpipes out. If you do not find anything obvious with injector o-rings or standpipes, then it may be worth your time to pull pump and check suction and discharge o-rings. As well as the o-ring on the jam nut of fitting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This are the bottom orings on each dummy plug. The top orings looked ok to me. I haven't gotten the bottoms of the stand pipes out yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Got the driver side oil rail off but its become beyond my knowledge at this point lol. The standpipe bottom oring looked OK but I'm not sure what I should be inspecting. Do I need to pull the injectors out? I don't see any orings. Sorry the top pic is upside down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No do not have to pull injectors, the upper o-ring is in the top of the injector. Absorb the oil in the top of the injector and you will see them. They are a black o-ring. The nipple cups in the oil rail go into the injector, and the o-ring in the injector seals on the outside of the nipple cup. Grab each nipple cup and check if they are tight in the oil rail, I dont advise you move them around too much, just ensure they are tight as they're is also an o-ring to seal them in the oil rail. A bad nipple cup o-ring can blast high pressure oil at the upper injector o-ring in the injector and ruin it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you have passenger side standpipe out yet?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts