Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck in to have the dealer check the oil today due to the oil reads overfull and has a strong smell of diesel. They told me that Ford now says not to put the dip stick all the way in. I said well when I have the oil changed and I check it it reads between max and min inserting the dip stick all the way in seated. They now tell me no you just push it in till it hits the yellow plastic part then pull it back out. If I did that after a oil change it would not even touch the dip stick. What do you guys think of this? Seems like BS to me? What good would the dip stick be?:hehe:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
um yea that sounds like a bunch of crap to me EISPECALLY(sp) if you can smell diesel in it cause hey thats not supposed to be in the crank case with the oil yea oil and diesel not the best of friends when in the closed environment of the bearings lol haha i would ask some more people lol

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Always push mine til it stops and have never had a problem. Sounds like bs to me, it would be over filled if you filled it to that point.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They're full of it. The 6.4s have a known problem of fuel entering the engine causing oil overfill. It's a shame you can't trust dealerships nowadays. The people they hire have no passion or care for their job. I can't tell you how many times they've "tried" to screw me :mad:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What they are doing is telling you that if it does not show overfull by partially inserting the stick it's OK. This is total BS.

It really depends on how much fuel gets in the oil. If it's excessive they will do something, otherwise they are going to claim it's OK.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
What they are doing is telling you that if it does not show overfull by partially inserting the stick it's OK. This is total BS.

It really depends on how much fuel gets in the oil. If it's excessive they will do something, otherwise they are going to claim it's OK.
i see what your saying. the way you explained it made more sense but if i had a new 6.4 i sure wouldnt want diesel in my engine??? i think we need to get this guys some help??

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If the dealer refuses to acknoledge a problem you need to go to a couple of other dealers with oil samples to prove the problem exists. Then contact Ford directly about the problem. Then get a lawyer.

If you bring it in several times with the problem and you get them to note it on the repair order you should be able to invoke the lemon law depending on your state.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
read the TSB, the dealer is not making it up. As per fords direction, you only insert the dipstick to the bottem edge of it.
Is it wrong, yes. Is it a cop out, yes. is the dealer lying, no.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Thanks I will look for that TBS.
07-8-9 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE - LACKS POWER, LEAKS FLUID FROM EXHAUST PIPE, ABNORMAL TAILPIPE SEDIMENT, WHITE SMOKE, EXHAUST SMELL, AND MIL ON

Publication Date: April 13, 2007

FORD: 2008 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel may exhibit one or more of the following concerns: lacks power, leaks oil, fuel or coolant from the tail pipe, abnormal tailpipe sediment, white smoke or ash, exhaust smell, knock or rattle, elevated idle, surge, crankcase oil level over-full, MIL On, DTC's P0087, P2291, P0263-P0284, P0300-P0308, P1336, P132B, P2262, P2263, P244C or P244D.

ACTION:
To diagnose and correct the concern, refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: DO NOT START ENGINE

Evaluation, Inspections, And Checks

Retrieve KOEO diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
Check oil level. Remove and clean dipstick. Reinsert into dipstick tube only until dipstick handle reaches top of dipstick tube (Figure 1).
NOTE: FIGURE 1 DEMONSTRATES DIPSTICK POSITIONING FOR OVER-FULL CHECK. KEEP DIPSTICK HANDLE OFFSET OF CENTER TO PREVENT IT FROM FULLY SEATING. IF OIL LEVEL IS BELOW THE MAX MARK, OIL IS NOT OVER-FULL.

NOTE: IN CASES WHERE ENGINE OIL HAS BEEN DILUTED WITH DIESEL FUEL AND ALL REPAIRS ARE COMPLETE, RELEASE THE OIL FILTER CAP ALLOWING OIL TO DRAIN TO OIL PAN AND KEEP FILTER, DRAIN THE OIL FROM OIL PAN AND FILL WITH NEW OIL. TIGHTEN OIL FILTER CAP AND RUN ENGINE FOR 10 MINUTES. FINALLY, CHANGE OIL FILTER AND OIL AGAIN.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If oil is not over-full - go to Step 9.
If oil is over full, drain and fill crankcase with new oil setting the level to the middle of the hash marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.