Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was doing a service on my truck today and while I was under it I noticed I can grab the down pipe of the exhaust and push it up and then it will come down with its own weight, and I can wiggle it side to side..

Is this normal so it does not bind when the motor is shaking and truck is twisting while hitting bumps etc...????

I honestly dont remember if it was like that when I installed the exhaust last year, there are no exhaust leaks ..

Sorry for the stupid question but I'm drawing a blank as to if it did it with the stock exhaust

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
im thinking since it is connected to your turbo,prob should not be able to move it..how much movement are we talking? i dont think mine moves ..just put on the 5 inch a mnth or so ago.may want to check the clamp.

·
allergic to hot weather
1,208 Posts
no motion at all on mine.
do you have a two piece down pipe?

·
Doesn't Even Care
18,044 Posts
No motion on mine. X2 on checking your clamps.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it moves up and down about 1/2 inch..lol

guess it must have came lose... another thing to check out tomorrow 1 piece down pipe its a 4" mbrp

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just went and crawled up under the hood with a flashlight and the clamp can be spun by hand.. it came lose or is nfg .. I remember using a air ratchet when I installed it and it was tight. I wonder if the threads are stripped out from maybe over tightening with air ratchet or it just came lose

·
Banned
792 Posts
May have stripped the threads....I did that on my first one, more out of put aggravation because its such a PITA dealing with the DP.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its fixed ... :)

I went out at 12:45 am and fixed it.. I'm bad that way I cant leave stuff alone if its not right .. for some reason the clamp was really loose ... anyway took a hand ratchet and tightened it up and it dont move at all now .. Id like to know how it came loose.. the threads are fine and I cant see the nut backing off like 8 turns.. I can see it backing off but it was almost at the end of the stud :dunno:

I'll keep a eye on it

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Well its fixed ... :)

I went out at 12:45 am and fixed it.. I'm bad that way I cant leave stuff alone if its not right .. for some reason the clamp was really loose ... anyway took a hand ratchet and tightened it up and it dont move at all now .. Id like to know how it came loose.. the threads are fine and I cant see the nut backing off like 8 turns.. I can see it backing off but it was almost at the end of the stud :dunno:

I'll keep a eye on it

thanks guys
it was probably a ghost :doh:
hate when that happens hahahahahaha! just playin with ya!

glad it got fixed :thumb: little things like that bother me too.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have a lopey idle (5.6k resistor mod) and my whole exhaust shakes. Whoever put the exhaust on didn't put the clamp from the DP to the first piece in a good spot cause it hits the frame and makes noise when I turn, it's ANNOYING. But the DP isn't loose from the turbo, that clamp is tight. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Maybe the downpipe wasn' aligned perfect when you tightened it and since then it's moved.
Could be. I dunno, I fussed with it forever to align it, and I've checked the clamp quite a few times and it's tight as it will go. The tip shakes more than anything and it kinda looks cool. But I know the engine is moving/shaking so that's nothing. If I move the clamp a couple inches back it should stop hitting. There's like an 1/8th inch of space there, I can't see how a 5" system would fit well.......

·
Registered
590 Posts
mine has alot of play. I think the tn turbos(at least the ones I've had) are a little bit different in either size or location, because the down pipe won't go perfectly on there, and the clamp can't quite get a really good bite on both sides. With the stock turbo, it just falls right on there. I'm not that worried about it, since it doesn't leak, but sometimes it'll rattle over and hit the frame, which is very annoying

1 - 14 of 14 Posts