Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out on a 2500 mile round trip with the new truck on wednesday, thought I'd do a maintenenace check on the truck, found fuel in the valley, did the o-ring trick as well as replaced the lift pump, found that someone had previously replaced the lift pump and had left out the separator side banjo ring which was dripping slowly... Anyways, fixed all the leaks (also found the plugged fuel filter sensor was dripping as well) and decided to change the CPS sensor as well after all the chatter about the recent recall, got a replacement at NAPA and took about 5 minutes to replace, now my question, since replacing the CPS it feels like I've got twice the power and at 60 miles an hour my tachs running around 300 rpm less ??? Is that normal?? I have also noticed my temp gauge is up by 2 or 3 needles worth but still well within the normal range... Just wondering....

Slick!!

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
The increased temp may be from a better combustion due to better fuel pressure. When replacing the CPS, the outcome can vary, depending on the condition of the old CPS. I got a lot better throttle response and better idle quality when I replaced mine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
haha the sad thing is u are gona keep replacing the cps, they get hot and wack out, and u need to do fuel bowl swap, because that crap will leak to no end, i did it and i get 20mpg or better no bs

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wait what exactly did you do to increase your MPG that much?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
I see 20MPG in mine, as long as I am on the interstate and keep my foot out of it. With all that happenned when he changed his CPS, looks like I am gonna change mine to see if I have any difference.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
One other thing, do the early 99 Superdutys have a fuel filter sensor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far so good, made it WV and avg'd 17 mpg!! No leaks and all is good under the hood, got here to the mother inlaws and got a flat in the friggin driveway!!! Oh well, got er plugged and heading back to NW Wisc on sunday!!..

Slick~!~

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Good deal man... was your CPS all grey in color, or was it the blue one?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Where in WV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure it was the original CPS, it was grey/greasy black... Oh, we are at my mother inlaws place just south of Parkersburg in Belleville, bet we blew right by your place when we came down 65..

Slick!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts