Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little tab at the top of the oil stand pipe thing broke off. See pics. The piece is still there as is the spring and everything seems to be working fine still. What exactly does it do and how important is it that it is not broken?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,212 Posts
Yes it is important. It breaks because you are using aftermarket filters with the wrong cap. That standpipe contains a backflow preventor and prevents bleed down that can cause starting issues.

Get a Ford OEM oil filter cap and then ONLY use Ford OEM filters.

Post the truck year model and I can post a part number.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Is that for the fuel filter? (asking because I like to learn stuff)

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Here is an explanation of how the parts work, and why it breaks -- the little button you have is the filter bypass

·
10,212 Posts
Thanks for the correction Hydro (filter bypass). Good video.

And still yes - it is an important part (and it breaks the way described above - trying to cram a long filter element in with the OEM cap or using an adapter piece with the wrong filter/cap).

Stick with OEM.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Oil filter tube is a 3C3Z-6C755-AA
cap is a 3C3Z-6766-CA
Filter is a 3C3Z-6731-AA
6.0 AND 6.4 both use the same parts

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
The taller aftermarket filters usually(but not all) contain their own bypass -- that is the reason they need to be taller for clearance
the problem is if the filter does not engage the locking mechanism -- then you thread the cap down and break the plastic

Ford made this overly complicated, but it is part of the filter housing drain feature -- so you don't get oil on your dainty hands when you change filters
the filter pops up to drain the inside, and the oil drains from the housing thru the little drain valve in the bottom of the housing

·
10,212 Posts
Oil filter tube is a 3C3Z-6C755-AA
cap is a 3C3Z-6766-CA
Filter is a 3C3Z-6731-AA
6.0 AND 6.4 both use the same parts

Thanks for the numbers.

Do you know when the standpipe design changed to the spring loaded design? I think late 03 or maybe sometime in 04?

I assumed the new part was backwards compatible, but haven't ever taken time to confirm.

·
10,212 Posts
I had this link saved - it provides a great description also.

Well, never mind, lost the one I was thinking of, lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I bought the truck it had the taller napa cap on it. I bought a billet OEM replacement and now only motorcraft filters. The drain inside works and I'll have to check later today if the little hole on top of the filter plugs the hole like it's supposed to.

·
10,212 Posts
Here is the link I was looking for!

Lots of different configurations of aftermarket filters!

·
10,212 Posts
When I bought the truck it had the taller napa cap on it. I bought a billet OEM replacement and now only motorcraft filters. The drain inside works and I'll have to check later today if the little hole on top of the filter plugs the hole like it's supposed to.
IMO you need to replace that standpipe

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
The filter has to rotate a bit to engage the lock tabs, does your billet cap hold the filter top so it has friction to turn?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Thanks for the numbers.

Do you know when the standpipe design changed to the spring loaded design? I think late 03 or maybe sometime in 04?

I assumed the new part was backwards compatible, but haven't ever taken time to confirm.
I don't know when they changed the design but the 6E7Z-9A332-A is backwards compatible all the way back
My '04 had the 2 piece standpipe (4C3Z-AA) which was immediately replaced by the one piece design(5C3Z-A)
Which was replaced by the new design with the teflon o-rings (6E7Z-A)

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Sorry, saw standpipe and monday brain took over
The oil filter tube should be the same start to finish with the same '03 part number

Reactions: Hydro

·
Administrator
33,909 Posts
I do not think the tall cap units have an oil bypass in them? ,, edit looks like some do Aftermarket oil filter carnage!
the caps were supposed to be bonded to the filters
problem is they broke loose and people would use OEM shorter filter with the tall cap and bypass oil filtering

the rumor was the tall version with the cap was to circumvent ford patents

·
10,212 Posts
Sorry, saw standpipe and monday brain took over
The oil filter tube should be the same start to finish with the same '03 part number

I hear ya on Monday brain - 'cept mine isn't limited to a day of the week ......

The tube definitely changed at some point. I had the same discussion with a Tech on PSN (and I was on the unbelieving side then). Check out the link I posted above - it shows both. The reason I thought the change may have happened in 2003 was exactly why you stated it - the 2003 part number for the current standpipe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Figured it out - it's some sort of hold down for a wire or wire harness. For turbo wires possibly? It doesn't stick through into the oil area underneath so it's no big deal?
DieselTechRon didn't mention it so it must not be a big deal!

Reactions: ZMANN
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.