Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my friends place currently about to do an oil change. While opening the oil filter I noticed this gap on the intercooler boot and pipe. Should I try and cram it back on there or is it fine? I really don't want it to come off on my drive home but at the same time I'm not sure if it's been like since the motor was out March. So what should I do?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Unsrew the clamps, take off the rubber boot, clean it out to get rid of all the oil, put it back on and tighten it Good!!!

If you want, spray some hair spray inside the boot to stick the the pipe better:thumb:
But, either way, I would fix it cuz it is a blown boot/gunshot sound waiting to happen:lol:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Gap looks identical to the one on mine, and my boot is brand new.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine looks the same as well.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Unsrew the clamps, take off the rubber boot, clean it out to get rid of all the oil, put it back on and tighten it Good!!!

If you want, spray some hair spray inside the boot to stick the the pipe better:thumb:
But, either way, I would fix it cuz it is a blown boot/gunshot sound waiting to happen:lol:
What Eli said! Its a blown boot waiting to happen and when it does it scares the crap outta ya!:D Ive been there!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't see any reason not to t least try to clean it up and re-tighten it. It will only take a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
534 Posts
Remember when cleaning turbo boots use some dish washing soap like Dawn.. It works great at cleaning off the oil and will leave the boot clean and almost tacky to the touch after you dry it. I will just put mine in a bucket of soap and water and scrub it that way.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your boot and that is how they normally look. There is a bead or lip around the end of that tube and with the clamp on the tube side of the lip you shouldn't have any issue as long as the clamp is tight.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yep, that's totally normal. I know because I was sold the wrong boot from OReily's installed it, and had it pop off twice towing up an incline on I70. Pretty awesome having to milk the truck and trailer with it barely on to the Ford dealer who was luckily 1 mile off the highway, and get the right part.

That gap is correct, and there are lips on the inside of the boots to fit correctly, just tighten clamps and that's it. And yes, it's real loud and scary when it pops off, luckily the clamp stayed in the engine bay twice!

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,068 Posts
Yea man theres pixels everywhere. :p

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
dont bother taking it off, it's already oil saturated. if you're going to mess with it just replace the thing.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts