Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told when I bought the truck that it had an "upgraded transmission". We all know that can mean anything when you buy a used truck, but I do trust the guy that I bought it from and believe that it has at least a mild upgrade.

When I am driving I would say about 30-40 and allow it to go into overdrive, when I let off the gas the truck does not coast it slows down and quite a bit. Not the normal little bit of slow down, it feels like when you keep it in first or second and get it revved up pretty high and let off. My gas truck would do this sometimes at higher speeds but it also had 4:10's this truck has 3:73's. The pedal is also very touchy, if i try to give it a bit of gas after letting of it jerks pretty good. I have driven other 99 7.3's and they do not do this. I'm wondering if others have had this issue. Is it my torque converter going in and out of lock up or is it signs of a problem with the transmission. :dunno:

·
Registered
738 Posts
sounds like its staying locked, based on you saying its touchy when you give it gas again. but i am pretty sure the pcm unlocks the tc at a certain speed(35mph?).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was thinking, it does feel like it stays locked due to the touchyness. I mean sometimes it is nice because I can hit the gas and away I go but if I am just trying to keep up in traffic and occasionally need a tiny bit of gas and then coast it is a pain and just plain doesn't feel right.

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
That's what mine does too, doesn't really coast at higher speeds instead it drops drastically, I thought it was normal?:dunno:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is lower than 35 when it feels like it unlocks, to where the throttle isn't as touchy, I'm thinking 30mph or so, but with the bigger tires my spedo is off a little so who knows what it is actually.

·
Registered
738 Posts
well the bigger tires make the speedo read slower, so that sounds about right. Under 30mph and it coasts pretty much right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts