Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a diesel shop around me to get an estimate on an exhaust system on my 1997 F250. For a 3''down pipe to 5'' straight back, no cat/muffler. It came out to $970, give or take a few bucks. Does that seem a little over priced or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
WAY over priced!!!

exhaust system is about $200-$300 and install is a breeze (doable)

That is crazy priced!

·
Registered
205 Posts
havnt looked at to many sites but i know ebay has a bunch

·
IBEW Journeyman Lineman
772 Posts
Performancetruckproducts.com has the Diamond Eye 5" kit with 3" downpipe for alot less. I got that kit from them for my 96 a few months ago with free shipping.

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Usdieselparts.com has the best price on the last two 5" diamond eye kits I bought very easy to install check them out

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I got my DE 3"DP 5"back from summit for $322

·
Registered
496 Posts
just curious since nobody asked - was the quote they gave you for a stainless steel set up? also - was it for a custom made system or just a kit and installation?? wouldnt jump the gun on the price yet.. not saying its not high, but there may a reason. some consideration may be given when comparing a kit thats clamped together to a fully welded custom install.

also - if the price was for a custom system, and you dont want to spend that much, or lay on your back either - mabye ask if you can provide a kit and just bring it to have installed. i undertsand that going to an aftermarket downpipe requires beating the firewall back a bit to make room for the larger pipe. so its a little more that just a cut-out and bolt in job.
likewaise - depending on where you live, and what you use the truck for (plowing), it might be worth the extra $$ to get a stainless system if it gonna be dragged through salt and snow for years to come. although this may not be a likely scenerio for most people, it may be for you - just things to consider.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just curious since nobody asked - was the quote they gave you for a stainless steel set up? also - was it for a custom made system or just a kit and installation?? wouldnt jump the gun on the price yet.. not saying its not high, but there may a reason. some consideration may be given when comparing a kit thats clamped together to a fully welded custom install.

also - if the price was for a custom system, and you dont want to spend that much, or lay on your back either - mabye ask if you can provide a kit and just bring it to have installed. i undertsand that going to an aftermarket downpipe requires beating the firewall back a bit to make room for the larger pipe. so its a little more that just a cut-out and bolt in job.
likewaise - depending on where you live, and what you use the truck for (plowing), it might be worth the extra $$ to get a stainless system if it gonna be dragged through salt and snow for years to come. although this may not be a likely scenerio for most people, it may be for you - just things to consider.
Yeah, It was for a stainless steel kit and install. I use my truck for property management in Ohio, but no plowing so I'm not sure if the stainless steel would really be a must. I'll have to call and ask them what the exact price for just an install. I also got an estimate for dual 6'' stainless steel stacks and that came out to $1400 with the new DP. Though I just found a Diamond Eye, 5", Turbo Back, Single Exit, Aluminized, Exhaust system with Cat and Muffler Delete for $375. Though I have yet to check out some of the other sites referred above for better pricing. That price seems a lot more reasonable then paying $970..

·
Registered
496 Posts
yea that makes alot more sense.. ive seen some S/S kits for $400-$500, throw in a downpipe and install - that price may not be too bad. id do some more lookin around to be sure.. i think guys may have jumped the gun on the price - not sure alot of people spring for the stainless.. good luck

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
yea that makes alot more sense.. ive seen some S/S kits for $400-$500, throw in a downpipe and install - that price may not be too bad. id do some more lookin around to be sure.. i think guys may have jumped the gun on the price - not sure alot of people spring for the stainless.. good luck
My 3"dp/5" exhaust is stainless steel and cost like $330 to my door step. Paid my buddy who owns a pretty large diesel shop $100 to make the exhaust install itself.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Except for the stock DP removal, installing the new exhaust is a snap. When installing mine the only other issue I had was that the new exhaust had a slight interference fit with my Class V 12,000# hitch. Cut 3/4" notch at the back of the hitch mount and all was good. Welded exhausts are great on cars but I mess with my truck too much to have a welded system on my truck. 2-4 times a year I need to pull a section of the exhaust to get to something else. I agree with Typhoon in that if your neck of the country sees salt in the winter get the SS piping.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
wow thats the most ive ever seen for an exhaust system. my buddy got a 4inch dp to 7 inch stacks for like 800 bucks and i feel like he over paid lol

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
A local shop quoted me like 1800$ for dual stacks from downpipe for stainless steel, and $1200 or something like that for side-exit.

I nearly poohed.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I had black miter cut stacks on my last rig paid a little north of $800 for full kit, my current truck I paid $100 for dp shipped and $200 for fully welded 4" exhaust with rbp tip installed, local shop had it laying around and straight hooked it up

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 3"dp/5" exhaust is stainless steel and cost like $330 to my door step. Paid my buddy who owns a pretty large diesel shop $100 to make the exhaust install itself.
that may be true - but not all exhausts are created equal.. not saying you didnt get a good deal, but just beause 2 systems are both stainless doesnt mean 1 isnt better than the other. the thickness of the metal makes a big difference in price and lifetime im sure. the borla exhaust i had on my typhoon cost me almost $1,000.. hell the resonated tip cost me $180.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where did you purchase that if you don't mind me asking? I'm starting to think the S/S is a better idea. I do see an awful lot of salt in the winter time.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
that may be true - but not all exhausts are created equal.. not saying you didnt get a good deal, but just beause 2 systems are both stainless doesnt mean 1 isnt better than the other. the thickness of the metal makes a big difference in price and lifetime im sure. the borla exhaust i had on my typhoon cost me almost $1,000.. hell the resonated tip cost me $180.
It's a diamond eye setup... cant remember the grade of stainless but I've had it on over a year and going thru one winter, it still looks as shiny and brand new as it did out of the box.

Borlas are expensive because they emphasize grade, shiny-ness, and sound. A diesel doesnt give a **** abotu baffles, sound, clarity, throatyness etc. You put a big pipe on it and be on your way.

Where did you purchase that if you don't mind me asking? I'm starting to think the S/S is a better idea. I do see an awful lot of salt in the winter time.
I got my diamond eye setup from Jake over @ Whites Diesel Performance in FL. He's a super good guy and will really help you out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a diamond eye setup... cant remember the grade of stainless but I've had it on over a year and going thru one winter, it still looks as shiny and brand new as it did out of the box.

Borlas are expensive because they emphasize grade, shiny-ness, and sound. A diesel doesnt give a **** abotu baffles, sound, clarity, throatyness etc. You put a big pipe on it and be on your way.

I got my diamond eye setup from Jake over @ Whites Diesel Performance in FL. He's a super good guy and will really help you out.

Good looks bub. I just checked out his site and didn't see any S/S 5''. I'll just give him a call day and see if we can work something out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts