Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get 25 mpg with my truck. 97 psd supercab 4wd with 4.10 gear. I do about 90% hwy driving. What do i need to change or add to ~25 mpg. I have 265/75r16 tires. If i cant get it with this truck. Is there any brand 3/4 ton diesel that will.
Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would say pipe dream. I dont know if any ford can get 25 mpgs. I knew a guy with a dodge dually 2wd manual with a chip and exhaust and he said he got close to 25

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw, truck is 100% stock .no add-ons yet. I get 17 hwy now

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I bet if you switched to 3.55 and had a light foot and stock sized tires, I would bet you could get over 20, probably not 25 though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do intake, and chip set to economy, that should help a little.
Get rid of the cat, Im not sure if that helps or not but some people say it does.
Other than that I'm not sure what you could do.
You could put in higher gears, like 3.56's but then you wont have as much power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I thought with diff gearing in the rearend and a light foot it was possible.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
mine is 4x4 manual trans stock tires intake and strait pipe exhaust with 3.55 gears and i get 20 mpg most fill ups

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet the manual does help. Mine has at. Im just wandering if i need to go the dodge. I lime the ford better but mpg is king right now

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Do intake, and chip set to economy, that should help a little.
Get rid of the cat, Im not sure if that helps or not but some people say it does.
Other than that I'm not sure what you could do.
You could put in higher gears, like 3.56's but then you wont have as much power.
No offense, but a chip with an economy tune does nothing for economy. My dad bought a chip just for that and if anything the mileage went down a little. I drive the truck everyday and fill it up and check the mileage just about everytime. I also drive the speed limit and don't get on it. I do enjoy the shift points in the truck with it however. Maybe your experience is different, but I wouldn't waste my money on a chip just for the economy setting. I agree on intake and exhaust though, can't go wrong there.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I got 26 in a 2wd auto 3.55 geared 97 scsb, try a gear vendor,intake, exhaust, down pipe, and you should get your goal no problem, I getalmost 20 now with 4.10's

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
If mpg is king get a prius, but I leave my chip on its highest setting at all times and if I'm easy on it I can click off 20 easy

·
Registered
723 Posts
20 more realistic in a obs, obs are about 1,500 pounds lighter the the superdutys. A lot of people get 20 mpgs with obs. Exhaust , intake, skinny tires, and a light foot

Sent from a Apple

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
yes can be done with the right ad ons/driving style, 20+ should be no problem.

JJ has a 94.5 250 4x4 5 spd 3.55s and he says he is not happy with anything under 20. and kris (351fifty) has before. i get over 22 with my 94 4x4 5spd 4.10s 262K miles. my father has a bone stock 96 excab 2wd 3.55s get 23 all day long on the highway at 70+mph

2wd and manual will do better than auto and 4wd. swap in higher gears (3.55) intake, exhaust, chip. with the chip set it on the HIGHEST hp setting and drive with a light foot and you will get better than with the chip set to economy and alight fooot

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm all stock 3.55s running a split of hwy/city getting 20. Ot can be possible but I'd sea the gears

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an intake Ts chip 5 inch straight stack and 3.55 4x4 5speed f250 and I get around 23 highway empty with 331000 miles, hell I just drug 5,000 pounds behind my truck for 600 miles and average 17 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts