Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bunch of research, and I know that the DP or the TS are the best bang for the buck. However, I like the idea of just plugging something in, and going on my merry way. So, with that being said, is there anything wrong with the Superchips Flashpaq?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I just checked DP offers an SCT programmer that you can put tunes on to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you please explain that in english. Does that mean I can plug it in just like the Superchips?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
the superchips, edge, sct, hypertech, etc tuners will plug into your obd2 port and youll have to spend about 3-5 minutes changing your programing.

if you get a flip chip it will take more time to install but once its done its done. the advantage is you can change from tune to tune at the flip of a switch and you can go from dialy driver to honda eater or hook onta your fishing boat and haul it down to the lake and not have to spend 5 minutes every time you want a difrent tune.

if you stick with the tuner go with the sct from dp tuner so you can have better tunes written to it. instead of the canned tunes from all of the others

·
Registered
719 Posts
the superchips, edge, sct, hypertech, etc tuners will plug into your obd2 port and youll have to spend about 3-5 minutes changing your programing.

if you get a flip chip it will take more time to install but once its done its done. the advantage is you can change from tune to tune at the flip of a switch and you can go from dialy driver to honda eater or hook onta your fishing boat and haul it down to the lake and not have to spend 5 minutes every time you want a difrent tune.

if you stick with the tuner go with the sct from dp tuner so you can have better tunes written to it. instead of the canned tunes from all of the others
+1
he speaks the truth hehe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I understand the difference between a tuner that plugs into your OBDII port, and a chip that plugs into the PCM.... My question is, what is the SCT DP tuner, and where is there so many freakin abbreviations for the ford:dunno:???

So are you saying that an SCT tuner is a programmer that plugs into the OBDII port, but it's programmed by DP???

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Okay, I understand the difference between a tuner that plugs into your OBDII port, and a chip that plugs into the PCM.... My question is, what is the SCT DP tuner, and where is there so many freakin abbreviations for the ford:dunno:???

So are you saying that an SCT tuner is a programmer that plugs into the OBDII port, but it's programmed by DP???
:D :D :D :D

SCT is a tuner like superchips or any of the others but the one from DP has his own tunes writen on it which are way better than canned tunes.

quite personaly I would buy the f-5 chip from DP-tuner. or a custom burnt TS flip chip from tony wildman before I would get a tuner. :doh: I dunno my tuner is just a pain in the azz when I want a difrent tune. with a selectable chip your just a push of a button or turn of a knob away from what ever tune you want.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i can second that.....when i want to switch tunes i have to sit for about 5 minutes. and that sucks. just the other week it was nice when i left my house for work on extreme tune. then about ten minutes down the road it starts snowing....i started sliding (once sideways) and what not cause of all the power. so i had to sit on the side of the road and retune. boy a flip chip would have been nice.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i can second that.....when i want to switch tunes i have to sit for about 5 minutes. and that sucks. just the other week it was nice when i left my house for work on extreme tune. then about ten minutes down the road it starts snowing....i started sliding (once sideways) and what not cause of all the power. so i had to sit on the side of the road and retune. boy a flip chip would have been nice.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a programer before buying Tony Wildman's chip (www.totaldieselperformance.com ) and that was a $375 mistake I learned the hard way. Don't make the same mistake I made, now I have a $375 code reader sitting on the shelf. Tony's chip outdid the programmer in power & MPG, not to even mention the better shifting with Tony's chip and lower EGT's - the off the shelf programmers do not compare to a custom chip.

·
Registered
193 Posts
the sct is esentially the same..cept you can get updates emailed to you.
you do have to load them from the computer to the sct, then load them onto the truck.

problem is you still would want the gauges since younow have strong tunes.
but you can potentally get into trouble with the superchips too. without gauges.

now the super chips is 399~499 depending where you go
the sct is prob more like 500+, and a chip more in the 375+ range by the time you get any tunes....now add $$ for gauge of some sort.. egt at the min.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
can you please explain that in english. Does that mean I can plug it in just like the Superchips?
I hope that everything has been explained better than I did now :thumb: with the other guys chimming in

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that the custom tunes are going to give me more bang for the buck, but they are so much more expensive. I don't plan on huge power for my truck, I just want more out of what I've got and I really like the idea of just plugging it in and on my way I go.

Now the question has still not been answered though...Is there anything wrong with superchips? Other than it's not what is preferred by those that have the DP or TW chips.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
Go with the chip it an easy install and once its done you'll be glad you did it I've had a Superchips Programmer and my DP-Tuner is a night and day difference the DP or Tony Wildman are the only way to go.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I know that the custom tunes are going to give me more bang for the buck, but they are so much more expensive. I don't plan on huge power for my truck, I just want more out of what I've got and I really like the idea of just plugging it in and on my way I go.

Now the question has still not been answered though...Is there anything wrong with superchips? Other than it's not what is preferred by those that have the DP or TW chips.
Id run a superchips... if it was given to me. :hehe:

Their is nothing "wrong" with superchips, banks, edge, bullydog, hypertech, etc. were just trying to keep you from making a mistake. if your going to spend 400 bucks on either a tuner or a chip might as well get the one that is going to give you the best performance, best fuel milage and lowest egt's. :doh:

·
Registered
366 Posts

The cost should be close, Tony's chips start at $300, and I paid $375 for the predator programmer - so I paid more for my programmer and it was less power, higher EGT's and worse fuel milage than Tony's chip. How much is the superchips?

The install is about 10-15 minutes for a chip and you don't have to stop and reprogram it everytime you need a different tune.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a Diablo sport programmer, eventually i got sick of my friends making fun of me for having to stop and plug it in and switch the tunes...(it even takes longer to explain it then it does to switch tunes on a DP).....picked up a DP this week, took me all of a half hour or so to install, switch on the fly, shifts better, power is better, and jody will set you up nice....my opinion dont make the $300+ mistake of buying a programer that plugs into your ODBII you will be wishing you went with the DP or TW with out a doubt

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just like the W.Buff said. I myself had the new superchip programer,I payed 450 or so, Sold it, it did nothing but read trouble codes, added "little to no power" got a used TS chip 4 bank 6 pos. $200 bucks. Put it in and man what a differance. I wasn't completely satisfied so I took it out, and sent it to Stealth Automotive for a Tony WILDMAN re-burn,-$150- Tony's the best! you need not wonder about other chip-programers. If you do this you'll have the BEST!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
if you do end up buying the superchips I can almost guarantee it will be for sale on here shortly after you get it cuz it did little or nothing that you thought it would. Do it right the first time. DP Or TW. If you are still leary see if anyone in your area is running a superchip and DP or TW tuners. Drive them and make your choice. you can get a custom chip with 2 or three tunes for not much over 300 bucks, kind of a no brainer if you ask me!

·
Registered
193 Posts
as far as is the super chips bad ...no it is fine.

If my wife bought me a superchips programer I would say thanks dear I love it.

if I was going to buy one (tuner )
I would get a package deal from rpmoutlet.com they offer the diablo and a few others,
that way you get other nice things like the s&b intake( don't choose the other brand) and a nice fitting exhaust.

the diablo equated to maybe a 40~60 tune .. I am sure the super chips is close.
the diablo did make a nice code reader..But I only borrowed it for a few days..

the point is If you are just wanting a tuner 400 is better spent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts