Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first Powerstroke.org post! An exciting day.

Cutting to the chase...
Truck is an 2005 F350 King Ranch dually. Truck is set up to tow, being equipped with the Tow Boss package and all the associated options, and in use, towing and plowing are its primary functions.

So, the issues. Since purchasing the truck, we've had the same issues w/ head gaskets, egr cooler/oil cooler failures, and injector failures as everyone else has experienced. The truck is out of warranty and it was time to fix it properly. The plan originally was to stud the heads, use the Victor Reinz/Black Onyx gaskets, delete the EGR system, get rid of the BS Gold Coolant, and install bypass filtration for the coolant and oil.

Upon tear down, it was discovered the heads were cracked, and as such, unusable. Add heads to the list: :banging:

Upon using Powerstroke.org as one of many research tools, many additional pieces of information came to light regarding implementing exhaust to lower EGT's, monitoring through the use of an Insight CS, tuning for the deleted EGR system, installing a CCV catch-can for the oil vapors the system induces into the intake track, and other misc. items. Here is the list of items to be installed or processes to be undertaken:
-New Heads
-ARP stud kit
-Black Onyx Gaskets
-EGR Delete
-"Hot Tanked"/cleaned intake manifold
-Silverline FS103 Turboback Exhaust (Trying to lower those EGTs)
-Complete coolant flush (Restore, Restore+, VC9, DI Water) and replacement of Gold coolant with ELC-1 coolant
-New Oil Cooler
-Updated Fuel Pressure kit (with revised blue spring)
-6.4L banjo bolts
-Bypass Oil Filtration
-CCV filter system
-Bypass coolant filter
-Insight CS monitoring w/ EGT probe, Turbo Timer, and once available, fuel pressure sensor
-SCT Tuning for EGR delete, etc.

Now that this info is clear, I'm faced with a final question: Is there anything I'm overlooking? What, if anything, about this "bulletproofing" approach falls short of making the engine as reliable as possible?

I need this truck to make me money. I have gotten just shy of 100k miles without any major issues (warranty issues aside), other than routine maintenance. I'd like to go 200k more without having to go through the suffering and money spending this current process involves.

So...I'm all ears, Powerstroke guru's. What are your thoughts?

Here's some pics of the current state of affairs of the truck for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i dont have any other ideas, but i want to say welcome to the forum and good luck with the build!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have any other ideas, but i want to say welcome to the forum and good luck with the build!
Appreciate it!

Only thing I can think of, having looked at the pictures again, is getting something along the lines of POR-15 and getting the frame rails looking nice and black.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I would replace the oil cooler while you're in there. Other than that, I think you have all the bases covered :thumb:

:ORG welcome:

EDIT: the oil cooler is already on the list :thumb:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would replace the oil cooler while you're in there. Other than that, I think you have all the bases covered :thumb:

:ORG welcome:

EDIT: the oil cooler is already on the list :thumb:
Yep. That's on the aforementioned list!

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I think you have a good handle on it then bud :nod:

·
Registered
599 Posts
i took the pedistal off the top of mine just so i can clean the engine a litttle better on top to make it nice and pretty :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just my two cents but all that cost about what 7k?? If I had to do all that I think I might look at a new 6.0 black mamba from the horsepower shop will most and more of that already done for 8795? Or am I way off guys.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just my two cents but all that cost about what 7k?? If I had to do all that I think I might look at a new 6.0 black mamba from the horsepower shop will most and more of that already done for 8795? Or am I way off guys.
It's too late for that...and all this work will come in cheaper than 9 grand plus all the logistical implications such an approach would require.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You mentioned injector failures. So I would check your Batts (minor I know but still important) and your FICM. Easy to install while putting it back together.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Batteries and FICM are less than a year old. The Insight will be configured to monitor the FICM voltage, as well as all the other critical systems. I will be programming it to have alarm thresholds for each of the vital facets of the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Judging by everything I have read on this forum, if you want one of those engines, you had better move to their shop to ensure you get it.
Of the one and only engine I have heard of that was delivered, it didn't last very long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts