Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the title states. last couple days truck seems like its been real slow cranking in the morning... starter even clicked once, and ive been reduced to driving around with my jump pack on the passanger seat just in fear.

i tested the current with a meter once before with the truck off and running to check the altenator.. everyting was good when i did it. (ill have to check again) anything else i can do here? cant think of anything else that could cause this.

·
Registered
883 Posts
check the grounds and connections

mine recently for a few weeks would just click when i tried to start it

checked the connections to the starter and they were loose, same thing i had problems in the morning, it would crank really slow but i would mess with the main ground and it fired right up

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
If the batteries are connected you'll never get a good reading. they have to be pulled and individually tested on a bench, such as @ autozone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought a clamp on load tester to check batteries on all my toys. Not very expensive and very handy. If they are not maintenance free you can check each cell with a hydrometer. The chain auto parts stores will also load test them for you.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Yep, it's called load testing. I have a cheapy from harbor freight that works decently enough. It was like 25 bucks. It doesn't work as w ell as the big carbon pile unit I had at work, but it works well enough for home use.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i actually found a couple videos of guys showing how they do it.. basically they just hook up the meter to the battery and watched the voltage drop when you crank the engine.. 9.6 volts is the magic number - anything below that and the battery should be changed. with a good enough meter they have a min/max button that will track and save the hi/low volts during start up.. just wondering if the dual battery set up makes any bit of difference testing it like that

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
You can't load test a battery using a multi meter. You can measure voltage, but you can produce voltage with very few amps out of a dying battery.

A load tester places a amperage load on the battery, some can range up to 1,000 amps of load. "Load testing" with a multi meter is not going to tell you much.

Regardless, batteries must be tested separately.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can't load test a battery using a multi meter. You can measure voltage, but you can produce voltage with very few amps out of a dying battery.

A load tester places a amperage load on the battery, some can range up to 1,000 amps of load. "Load testing" with a multi meter is not going to tell you much.

Regardless, batteries must be tested separately.
so this doesnt work? -

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
In a pinch, yes it does. But a dedicated load tester is the best way to load test a battery. Especially in a two battery setup like our trucks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, it's called load testing. I have a cheapy from harbor freight that works decently enough. It was like 25 bucks. It doesn't work as w ell as the big carbon pile unit I had at work, but it works well enough for home use.
any chance you have the box with a part number? love any excuse to walk around harbor freight..

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I don't but they only have two models, at least online. One for like 25 bucks and one for like 50. I have the cheaper of the two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts