Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also purchased the OBD Fusion app with Ford enhanced diagnostics. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
JT

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
See the attached. Are you getting a CEL? Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Patrick,
It's warm here, would the glow plug circuit still cause a no start? Seems the green wire on top of the black/orange shouldn't be there and on the other large post should only be two brown wires for glow plugs?
Cheers,
JT

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
What year truck is this? Are you getting the Wait-to-Start (WTS) light coming on when the key is first turned to WTS? If not, check underhood fuse #22. Many times if that fuse is blown the fuel heater has shorted. Disconnect it, replace the fuse and see if the light comes on. What are those other wires (green and the smaller one on the other large terminal) going to? Even though it may be warm out, a cold start will still need the plugs. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Attached are the tests for the Glow Plug Lamp P0381 code. You may not have any problem with the fuel heater and underhood fuse #22, based on the P0381 (but check it anyway). I would disconnect the 2 odd wires and figure out what they are for. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year truck is this? Are you getting the Wait-to-Start (WTS) light coming on when the key is first turned to WTS? If not, check underhood fuse #22. Many times if that fuse is blown the fuel heater has shorted. Disconnect it, replace the fuse and see if the light comes on. What are those other wires (green and the smaller one on the other large terminal) going to? Even though it may be warm out, a cold start will still need the plugs. Cheers!
It's a 1997 E350, a former ambulance, you can see it as my avatar on this forum. The WTS light has never come on, not sure if the previous owner disconnected. When I turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump going, see my regulated return gage go up to 65psi and after an audible "click" or two (probably the glow plug relay) the "service engine soon" light comes on. I don't konw that thos other wires are but I will look today. The green looks like a fusible link. When I changed the relay, I did some wire repair, not knowing what the wires were, I just repaired them and put them back where they were. Again, it used to run like this. It would really smoke a lot when it started, not white smoke, probably because of improper combustion. I found out the turbo "butterfly" was stuck barely open, so I removed it, got rid of the actuator and sealed it up. I then purchased the "fooler resistor" from diesel orings and connected that to the EPV connector that used to be connected to the pedestal. I'm gonna look at the Glow Plug relay document the wiring and test it. I'll keep you posted. Any other ideas? I've been cranking the motor for 30 seconds and the oil pressure gage goes up halfway. I took my ICP out and made sure it wasn't clogged. My Crank sensor plug won't "click" into place but I cleaned it yesterday, made sure I was getting power to it and taped it back to the connector. While I was there, I totally cleaned the ground wire going to the block and noticed there was another ground wire that was caked with oil connected to the body so I put a waterproof ring connector on that and reconnected. I was hoping that cleaning off those ground wires would have got it to start. Always seems to be a grounding issue or short with crank no starts. I'm all ears if you have any other ideas. Thanks for your help and I'm happy to give you my cell number so we can talk.
Cheers,
JT

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Let me look up the correct documents for a 97 E350 as they may be different than what I posted (which is 97 F-series). Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, Econoline is mentioned. I will start at glow plug relay and then do some other testing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Disregard my comments on the 2 smaller wires on the big posts. I would see what they are for (is there an air intake heater on an E-series PSD???). Does this have a factory electric fuel pump? I'm going to assume that, so here are the GPL documents for a 98 E-series since the 97 e-series doesn't mention e-fuel but 98 does. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all your help. I disconnected the GPR. one large lug had the big black/orange wire and on top was a green wire connected to a fusible link that looked white or gray that goes into the loom. The other big lug had a large yellow wire connected to a green fusible link going to an orange wire in the loom. One small lug has a red/green wire going to the loom, the other side is white, attached to a fusible link to a black (or gray)/orange going to the loom. From my understanding, one large lug should have the black/orange, the other large lug should have two brown wires (going to glow plugs for each cylinder head). maybe the small lugs are ok? I'll have to look and see. I'm gonna cut into the loom and see what's going on in there

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I've attached the diagrams for both 97 and 98 Econolines associated with the GPR for reference. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you. I wonder that this is an Ambulance that there are different color wires than normal? I think that large yellow wire on the GPR is power to the glow plugs on one head and the brown is for the other. I should get a diagram showing what all these wires are at the main connector in the engine. See attached photo. Also, what is in the other photo? seems like some kind of a small circuit board. I opened it up and the connectors looked nice and clean, but the top doesn't. Looks burned, but it may just be some oil sludge. Didn't seem to wipe clean though. I've now exposed all wires from the passenger side glow plug harnesses to that big square harness and halfway to the drivers side. Looks like a mess, but I think I can now start troubleshooting. I really appreciate your help with diagrams. Going at this solo is frustrating but you're giving me a second wind!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if I have air in the oil system. I'm gonna crack the oil lines on each head, crank the motor and tighten. will this make a difference?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts