Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the archives, get the impression that pulling the turbo is a big hassle, dealers want to charge a lot for it, advice here is not to do it unless you have to.

But reading the service manual, and looking around in the engine, seems like removing the turbo is: 4 bolts on exhaust manifold, 4 more bolts on the headers, then two bolts on the turbo... not too hard.

I have a 98 E350 van, can't see much from the hood, have to get in from the back. It's pretty tight in there. With the turbo out, I could see what's going on in there a lot better, and get to stuff easier..

Is it worth the trouble to remove the turbo? Any hidden gotchas?

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's not to bad but it isn't easy, I've done a few delivery vans and you just have to remove a few extra parts.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd rather do it on a van than an excursion........a lot easier on my back, and my fornt.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I did a headgasket on a dt466 delivery van. Had to remove most of the dash, heater control panel, and bend a heat shield but still easier than doing them on some trucks. I don't know how they change so cheap to do cab off work on the 6.oh's. :dunno:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wonder what they do when they get an EX, complete body off? Surely they don't do it like I do at home in the driveway.

·
Registered
956 Posts
:dunno: There has to be an easier way to do it. They really made it difficult to do service to those trucks. The heads to have to come off at some point. They should have made it easier to work on or used way better parts.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
Never taken one off a van....I know on the OBS trucks, teh rear pedistol bolts are a PIA, along with the breaking the up pipe manifold boilts/nuts loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts