Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have another blown engine? What would cause oil to come out of the number 8 cylinder exhaust? The oil is clean and steady so I'm thinking that its never going to just clear its self out. I just installed the engine in my 1998 E-350. I got it from an auto recycler. Dumb question but is there any way it could be the #8 injector.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
It could be something with the injector. did the salvage yard fill the cylinders with oil to prevent the engine from siezing up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be something with the injector. did the salvage yard fill the cylinders with oil to prevent the engine from siezing up.
I doubt they did. Even if that were the case it is only #8. Also that would have cleared itself out by now. How could it be the injector? What would be going on?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Slow down a bit. I would suggest you do a compression test on the cylinder that has oil coming out of the exhaust. If that comes back ok, then you need to look at things like the injector. Injector with bad o-rings, cracked sleeve, could leak excessive oil into the cylinder. Also a cracked cylinder head could cause the problem. I doubt it is the cylinder head though.

How many miles are on the engine.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
how bad is this engine smoking , and skipping ? how long has this engine run since replacing it ?

BC if it were a cracked sleeve or head , i would think there would be coolant into the cylinder , even if it were a bad injector sticking and dumping it would be more fuel than oil

im wondering if this engine sat on its side or came out of a rolled truck , and will clear up after driving

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
how bad is this engine smoking , and skipping ? how long has this engine run since replacing it ?

BC if it were a cracked sleeve or head , i would think there would be coolant into the cylinder , even if it were a bad injector sticking and dumping it would be more fuel than oil

im wondering if this engine sat on its side or came out of a rolled truck , and will clear up after driving

I was refering to injector sleeve. Leaking oil into the cylinder. Cracked head if the crack is not near a water jacket then no leak of antifreeze. I seen it a couple times but it is very rare.

J

·
0 Posts
Hmm

I read it a couple times and you didnt mention anything about how its running. I have seen on several, usually 6.0's but some 7.3's that after engine work especially injector work that oil will be visable around the exhaust manifold then the exhaust will make bubbles when the engine is running. Is that what yours seeing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slow down a bit. I would suggest you do a compression test on the cylinder that has oil coming out of the exhaust. If that comes back ok, then you need to look at things like the injector. Injector with bad o-rings, cracked sleeve, could leak excessive oil into the cylinder. Also a cracked cylinder head could cause the problem. I doubt it is the cylinder head though.

How many miles are on the engine.
Slow down? I'm trying my best. The only thing worse than swapping out a diesel engine in a van is.... Swapping out a diesel engine in a van with a blown engine just to do it all over. Anyways I was told there was 120K on it. Theres a long story to this project if your interested....

I have a 1998 E-350 limo coach. I bought it with the engine siezed up. It came with a engine from an auto recycler. The donor engine was from a 1997 F-250. I installed it and got it to start. BUT, it runs rough and inconsistant with tons and tons of white smoke. I did find out about the whole single shot injectors in the 97 a little to late. The 1998 runs a split shot injector.

I thought that was the main problem I had to take care of untill I seen an oil leak and followed it to the left header. I then cleaned the header to see exactlly where it was comming from and found that it was clearly from #8. I then ran a Cylinder contribution test and got P0284 which is #8 cylinder contribution/balance fault. Not sure what causes that or how to fix it but that confirms that the oil is from #8 I would assume.

Now that I have you completely suckered into my "venting" WHAT DO I DO?

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
sounds like a bad engine to me , they dont just pump oil out from a simple fix , sound serious , compression test on cylinder 8 or maybe even that whole bank would be a good idea

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
I was refering to injector sleeve. Leaking oil into the cylinder. Cracked head if the crack is not near a water jacket then no leak of antifreeze. I seen it a couple times but it is very rare.
bc there is no oil anywhere near the injector sleeve , only antifreeze is held back wth the injector sleeve , and fuel on the other side , just cant happen that way

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way I have had it idling for about total of a half hour. Its just a steady drip out of the # 8 only. The neighbors came over cause of all the smoke.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah

Sounds bad, I hate to say it but you may have found out why that motor got recycled! :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess thanks for the input, but did we come to the conclusion that the injector has nothing to do with it????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure it is oil but I will send it to CSI in Miami tomorrow morning. Thanks 4 everything guys. I need a drink now! I'm going to the bar.... In one of my CTDs. Which ever has more fuel. Any body want to buy a 1998 Ford E-350 Limo coach for CHEEP?

J

·
0 Posts
Hey

I'm sure it is oil but I will send it to CSI in Miami tomorrow morning. Thanks 4 everything guys. I need a drink now! I'm going to the bar.... In one of my CTDs. Which ever has more fuel. Any body want to buy a 1998 Ford E-350 Limo coach for CHEEP?
You could send it to Blackstone to have an analisys done. But no, I dont want an E series. I would never own one. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts