Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have to replace my clutch and they are askign what flywheel I have. I thought all the SDs were solid but now I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
only the OBS trucks were dual mass. the SD's have a Solid mass flywheel

·
Banned
5,630 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Stock 99-03 SD with ZF6 were a dual mass.

If its stock you still have a dual mass, if its not then most likely it has been upgraded.

If you need a solid flywheel i got a used one for sale. Only 30K on it and the only reason it was pulled is cause i had a gnarly HPOP oil leak and all the oil soaked my clutch plates and would slip. Flywheel is in great shape, no nicks, no dings and is not warped one bit.

I ordered a complete south bend not knowing what i was getting into and if i hadnt i wouldnt have even got my flyewheel turned before installing the new one.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^Thats exactly what I thought. The OP should swap that dmf out now before he gets everythign back together and it decides to go.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
The powerstrokes shipped from the Indianapolis Engine Plant were equipped with the lighter ("dual mass"?) flywheels if they were going to be matched with an automatic transmission, and a solid mass flywheel for manual transmissions.:thumb:

·
Registered
805 Posts
If the ^^above^^ statement were true they WOULD NOT sell solid flywheel conversion kits for the ZF6. Plain and simple.

Ive never in my life seen a automatic with a flywheel on it. Kinda serves no purpose cause the flat surface for your clutch plates would be useless.

Automatics come with a flex plate, the torq converter acts as the mass to keep the engine turning between pulses at idle.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
If the ^^above^^ statement were true they WOULD NOT sell solid flywheel conversion kits for the ZF6. Plain and simple.

Ive never in my life seen a automatic with a flywheel on it. Kinda serves no purpose cause the flat surface for your clutch plates would be useless.

Automatics come with a flex plate, the torq converter acts as the mass to keep the engine turning between pulses at idle.
What all is involved in converting, as in, what comes with this 'kit'? I would think it would just be a matter of swapping out the dual mass for a standard flywheel...

I would guess that I still have the stock clutch in my red truck, and since installing the DP Tuner, I'm guessing it might not live long... so I plan to start gathering parts (and info) so I'm ready when replacment time comes. Having a flywheel, clutch and related parts sitting on the shelf means all I gotta do is drop the trans and put it in, not wait while I scrounge up the cash to buy it.

What are the (dis)advantages of standard and dual mass flywheels?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
dual flywheel is a bit smoother.. but can crack, disintegrate, and cause bad vibrations when going bad. Single flywheel chatters more @ idle but better for hi hp/tq.

·
Registered
751 Posts
dual flywheel is a bit smoother.. but can crack, disintegrate, and cause bad vibrations when going bad. Single flywheel chatters more @ idle but better for hi hp/tq.
That has more to do with the clutch material than the flywheel. As for the OP . . . call the dealership with your VIN and they can tell you what flywheel was put in it most likely.
If you are going to be hot rodding the truck and drag racing it alot then I would upgrade . . . if not just have the existing one turned on a lathe for $30.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts

Ok, after re-reading the thread, I need to clarify some. Technically, the flex plate is not a "flywheel", and yes torque converter used on automatics replaces the mass of the thicker flywheel on the manuals.
But as mentioned earlier in this thread, which I agree with: OBS has dual mass, super dutys have solid mass-from the factory.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK well I have a hell of a lot of noise coming from my clutch area that goes away when you push the clutch in. I play in the mud a little and pull my bass boat. It's a 21ft bass cat so it's kind of heavy. I was looking at the LUK 07-155 clutch kit that comes with a flywheel. I can't find the rated hp and tq for it though. As far as I know it stock but I wont know more till it's out.

·
Registered
805 Posts
What all is involved in converting, as in, what comes with this 'kit'? I would think it would just be a matter of swapping out the dual mass for a standard flywheel...

I would guess that I still have the stock clutch in my red truck, and since installing the DP Tuner, I'm guessing it might not live long... so I plan to start gathering parts (and info) so I'm ready when replacment time comes. Having a flywheel, clutch and related parts sitting on the shelf means all I gotta do is drop the trans and put it in, not wait while I scrounge up the cash to buy it.

What are the (dis)advantages of standard and dual mass flywheels?
Just a solid flywheel. Its what i have seen it referred to as on some sites i have seen that sell them.

But unless you go stock most aftermarket clutch kits (new flywheel, clutch, ans pressure plate) come with a solid flywheel.

This is the clutch i just put in my rig and I really like it. Im only puting out about 300 hp but plan to do more upgrades in the future. Very smooth.

South Bend Single Disc Clutch Powerstroke 1944-60K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts