Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2004 6.0 about a year and a half ago it had 132000 at the time. I’ve put just over 20000 on it since then. With that being said about 3 weeks ago my truck started running very rough pulled codes found injector 3 low or shorted. I’m assuming bad injector which is a costly project. The point of this post is it really worth it to headstud the 6.0 and put these new parts. Will the truck really be realizable or am I gonna get another 50k miles and it crap out again. Just looking for some input figured this would be the place to go for it.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I think that's a very subjective question...

I bought my truck almost 4 years ago and (forgive me for sounding corny) it's been a faithful companion from day one. I count myself lucky that I found her under some amazing circumstances... I'm her 2nd owner and the previous owner had her dealer serviced like clockwork (all the records came with the truck). I've taken some steps to address known weaknesses... EGR delete, coolant filter, data monitor, upgraded alternator, etc. and still have plans to do more. I track every dime that goes into my rig, posted the stats from my tracker for you to see my experiences (ignore the max mpg... topped off before a trip one day and it gave me a wonky number ). My rig is a daily driver with a 60 mile round trip commute.

Having said all that, I've read some stories about guys that struggle with their rigs from day one. But for the most part, if you put in the wrench time up front to prevent those known weaknesses from becoming serious problems, these trucks seem to last forever. I guess what it comes down to is knowing the truck you have and how far you're willing to go to keep it happy and growling .

If you ask me... The 6.0 is absolutely worth it. I can't wait to find a second one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
It's called "aCar". It connects to Fuelly.com. I live tracking the data on my rig. I use Android, not sure if it's available on iOS. Here's the Android Store link:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: jullsplv

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
568 Posts
I use a similar app on my iPhone, called "Road Trip", for those wondering.

That said, I agree with what's been posted. I love my 6.0. Issues are known and addressable. I can work on it in my garage. Mostly pre-emissions. Etc. etc. etc.

The injector is easy to replace in your garage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a new 6.0 owner. I have always been good with the under dog or bad rated "consumer reports" type vehicle. Both past Pinto and Tempo ran flawless for 250k miles. Ha shows my age. I ONLY got rid of them because I was bored with them.

Like skifter22 said knowing issues and being proactive is everything. These engines are now understood and coming into a whole different class now. Builders are finding the bottom ends tuffer than 7.3 and 6.7s. According to many engine builders when the known issues and fixes are either preemptively handled or fixed your golden.

I'm counting on my underdog theory getting me a quarter million miles like my other underdogs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know about the preventative parts I’ve done away with the egr and I always run quality oil fuel and filters I’m everything. Including good coolant it was just with losing the injector I was debating going full force and giving it head studs. Just because I do love the truck I reckon I just needed some other stories lol. With that being said anyone have recommendations on injectors and headstud kits?

·
Registered
531 Posts
They are good trucks if you put the love into them so yes you can get another 200,000 miles out of it, but lets not Bull Sh!t each other here, it's gonna take you to be on top of it and we know what that means. So like me, I physically couldn't stay on mine and sure in da hell wasn't gonna pay for basic up keep or minor repairs, so I sold a good truck. I'd still have it if I was a younger version of myself LoL.

But what do I know, I kept my 6.7 took me 2 1/2 days to yank the egr/DPF and add a cold filter/new exhaust and coolant, not to mention putting both dam batteries back! BUT I had cushy cardboard to lay on for this old dude and knee pads(They wasn't for what ya think) LoL.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
So, you've got a possible bad injector, and you wanna know if you should stud it? That's like going in for an appendectomy and asking for a heart transplant "while you're in there." I'm not following...

If it turns out to be a bad injector, put a new injector in it and keep driving it! Total cost ~$300 and 6 hours of your time.

Next...

-jokester

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I can understand that but my thing is I’d like to keep the truck a long time and it seems like a waste to me to do all that work then the head gasket goes ya know. But I also see your point at the same time. I mean I’ve never had any signs of a bad head gasket. Only sort of one is if I fill my coolant bottle to where it actually says full it’ll leak outta the cap but once it gets down to the min line I have no more issues. Any ideas? I’ve heard that’s just a problem with these honestly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, you've got a possible bad injector, and you wanna know if you should stud it? That's like going in for an appendectomy and asking for a heart transplant "while you're in there." I'm not following...

If it turns out to be a bad injector, put a new injector in it and keep driving it! Total cost ~$300 and 6 hours of your time.

Next...
That’s really my biggest reasoning to doing the studs.
-jokester

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
568 Posts
I’d just throw an injector in in. But you do you. :)

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

Next...

-jokester
If the engine hasn't seen the use of a tuner and is stock well maintained slap a set of injectors in it just make sure you buy them from a Ford dealer to insure they are Ford reman injectors. I just had mine replaced wasn't cheap but i gained an instant 2mpg much to my surprise. I drive the same 450 miles one way non stop except for fuel and before the new injectors i would always have to fill up. Now i can do the whole trip and have enough left to run around for another day before filling up. I am the original owner.

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
I think you may not realize that changing an injector is not a huge job. Depending on your skill level and toolkit, probably a 1 to 4 hour deal. Headgaskets and studs take a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I think you may not realize that changing an injector is not a huge job. Depending on your skill level and toolkit, probably a 1 to 4 hour deal. Headgaskets and studs take a bit longer.
Can it really be done correctly without removing the cab? I don't trust those factory bolts

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
My comment was directed at the OP, but studs can be done without removing the cab. Getting proper torque on the studs is the real problem with that method though. I pulled the engine, but I was planning on upgrading the camshaft and lifters so it had to come out anyway. If I were just doing studs, I'd probably lift the cab, but I also have a lift.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im almost in the same boat as you but for different reasons. I sold my classic car and bought a 2005 with 132k miles on it a little under two years ago. Was going to be a camping/trailer rig for the family. I've been camping twice and left early both times because apparenlty liked the " idea" of camping! So now I have this huge truck sitting in the driveway with no purpose! Ha ha anyway...

Seems like you have a monitor, if you monitor on your trucks vitals and wrench every so often to keep up on regular maintenance it's a good truck. First thing I did was did the known issues bpd air to oil and egr cooler stc, ipr etc and guess what, haven't had any issues. Even today, I had never checked fuel pressure, did that today... it was fine. Check. I'll probably check in 6 months again. I might go too far but I have a book so I know when things are due, but it works. You might want to so a pressure check on your coolant, you can search for procedure, about 30bucks worth of parts and you'll know about you HG.

Guess what I'm saying, watch your numbers and keep up on maintenance and can wrench little it's a good truck. And dont try to get enough torque/hp to relocate your home, you'll be fine. Previous owner kept mine stock, that's how I've had it. But also keep in mind it's almost 20 years old and eventually something will break. Itll get super pricey if you dont wrench. And the main thing is you should have a purpose for it! Other than getting groceries and taking weekend trips, but now that I've updated everything it's hard to let go! But maintenance is a little high for what I'm using it for.

As for injectors... things fail, 150k miles out of it was good use in my book. People have gotten substantially less than that. 2 weekends ago I was replacing my rocker arms on a 4 year old durango with 90k miles... dealer said it sounded about right.

Edit: it's late and I rambled... but I've typed too much to just delete it all..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I do have a programmer on it it’s an edge insite 2 the only other mod I was really looking to do was go to 155 cc injectors with stock nozzles. Now of course I don’t plan on drag racing this thing which is why I was torn between headstuds or no. I just didn’t want to see the injectors be the breaking factor with the head gasket.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts