Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticeing the last few weeks I dont seem to build as much boost as I used to.

Last year I had the engine gone through and upgraded just about everything. I have some tunes from Vivian, the Looney and one from Matt its the SRL+

This morning i decided to tighten up all the flex connectors to see if it helped.

According to my factory gauge, full throtttle going uphill it makes around 21-22psi. Seems a little low to me. also seems the truck doesnt pull as hard as it used to.

On another note. My ficm might be going bad too and i may be able to send it to vivian shortly.

What do you guys think?

Thank,
Jerid

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Sounds like you have a air leak on hot side. With hood open put truck in gear hold brake down and boost the turbo, if you see exhaust smoke coming out from under hood you have a leak.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the tip. Im going to try that. If the leak is on the hot side any places more prone to leak than others?

However, after reading your posts if the turbo was shot it would give me a good reason to replace it with something bettet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
the y pipe bellows tend to crack i think thats what my little ticking is from on the pass side under mild boost.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you want to replace your turbo, go with Mad Turbo Werks, he builds the best turbos known to the 6.0 world to date. he has smashed records and his turbos are just as much if not cheaper than the PowerMaxx!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
i'm getting one next week i hope

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i do have an exhaust leak wouldnt the howling noise get louder as boost increases? Sometimes it will make the sound when cutting the truck off. also, like I said it now only make around 20-22psi of boost. I just hope its something I can fix inexpensivly as Ive got another knee surgery coming up on Sept 11th.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on my ride. I did some data logging with the CTS and noticed I only build 23# with my SRL loaded. My hot side boot at the intercooler is soaked so I think that might be the problem. I do know it used to build 26-28 pretty regularly when I first loaded the tune.

Any way I have all new boots from RiffRaff and an aluminum cold side pipe that I will be installing next week to see if that fixes anything. If not my next step will be to pull and clean the vanes.

Dik

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you seem to have more lag at the bottom end? The would be indicative of cracked bellows or split boots. Like Mad said, just powerbrake it and see if any smoke comes from under the hood. The boots, just run your hand around them and if you feel any air, there you go.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Where is the best place to get a replacement y pipe for a decent price? I thought I had read out there that you can send your y pipe to someone and they will replace the bellows for you but I can't seem to find that info anymore. thoughts? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Just fixed mine

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My problem was a map issue, i hope you come to a solution soon.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts