Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might just be paranoid, but I'm afraid my torque converter might be going.
My truck has developed a fairly noticeable drivetrain shake. It usually happens under light throttle/load, and goes away when I'm coasting down a hill or hammering up a hill. It seems to be worse at 65-70, although I start to feel it at around 45. Driving it on Sunday on a freshly paved section of interstate it was shaking like crazy. I've checked all the u-joints, and they're fine. While I was under there though, I noticed a tranny fluid leak that looks like it's coming from the driver's side of the bellhousing, about halfway up. I topped up the fluid, just to make sure that wasn't it, but no change.
This doesn't feel like an engine miss. I've had that before, but this seems different, and the truck runs great (occasional injector miss, cylinder 4 cont. code, but usually purrs like a kitten).
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to TN next month and really want to take this truck.
If I have to replace the TC, oh well, but I sure want to know for sure before I shell out that kind of $$.
Is there anything I can do to verify?
Thanks in advance!

Truck is a 2005 F250 CCSB 6.0, 5r110 tranny, 4wd.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZMANN, I sure hope you're right. I really don't want to pull that transmission.
Does anyone have any other ideas? If it's not the TC, what might it be? And what might the leak be?
I did notice the harmonic damper on the rear driveshaft seemed a little askew. Could that be it? Maybe I'll pull the rear shaft and run it down the road in 4h to see of it goes away.
If I have to replace this transmission, it's getting a 6-speed manual. Three pedals, very few headaches. :giggle:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, update time.
I decided to go ahead and do the injectors on the driver's side, since I knew #4 was iffy, and I had the stuff to do it anyway. Got that all buttoned up tonight and it runs better than ever engine-wise. :giggle: But... the shake is still there.:(
I took the damper off the driveshaft (that's what the guys at Sadler Powertrain told me they do if they're bad), but no change.
My issue seems just like the one discussed in this thread, plus mine is leaking fluid.
Help please!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody? I've been chasing my tail all weekend. I currently have the cover off the rear diff, thinking maybe the pinion bearing was bad, and figuring it was time for a fluid change anyhow. The fluid looks old, but there's no metal flakes in it. I don't feel any up-down play on the pinion yoke, maybe a little in-out play, and some backlash in the gears, but nothing that seems excessive (mind you, I'm not an expert on differentials).
It seems like it only shakes when the torque converter clutch locks up. It shifts just fine though.
It kinda feels like a seized up u-joint, but they feel fine.
Input please!! I only have 2 weeks before the TN trip!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts