Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 6.0 F-350 and was wondering if it is even worth it to put a Cat back exhaust system on it. I know everyone is going to say straight pipe it but that's not an option for me right now... trust me I would in a minute but my work situation prohibits it for the time being. If you straightpiped it from the cat would that make a bit of difference. Would it free up the engine at all or is it a waste of time. I run an XDI and Bully dog in tow mode.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Banned
0 Posts
I would say unless you tow heavy loads, no it's not worth it. A lot of people will argue my point here, but I didn't notice any real difference in my full 4" MBRP system. It doesn't matter if I run no cat or muffler I just don't feel a difference. I don't have dyno numbers to prove this, but it's what I have observed by the seat of the pants.

I believe an exhaust upgrade gives two benefits: great sound and lower EGTs. If I had to do it over again, I would just remove the muffler from the stock system. You should be able to do that for less than $100 and it won't be that loud as long as you leave the cat in place.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
the only thing the cat back systems are good for is if your ride has O2 sensors connected to the cat, cause the O2 sensors will throw your ride for a loop and then CEL, (check eng lite) otherwise you are wasting your money and time.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
the cat back system, still is a waste of money and time.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I have an '06 6.0 F-350 and was wondering if it is even worth it to put a Cat back exhaust system on it. I know everyone is going to say straight pipe it but that's not an option for me right now... trust me I would in a minute but my work situation prohibits it for the time being. If you straightpiped it from the cat would that make a bit of difference. Would it free up the engine at all or is it a waste of time. I run an XDI and Bully dog in tow mode.

Thanks,
Jeremy
It is not a waste of time. considering you are towing, try and get a 3.5" or 4" downpipe with cat still in place. that will greatly reduce your egt's and prolong the life of your turbo.(so i've read) If you can't do the downpipe I still suggest the cat back exhaust. If you straight pipe it from the cat back it will make a difference. the less restriction the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts