Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced injectors with ffd 155/stock and did a sinister diesel regulated return in the hopes of prolonging the life of them...
got everything back together, set the psi to 69, cause mentally im still a child, and everything was great, really had to tromp on the loud pedal to get any sort of drop below say 64... not even 500 miles later the pressure is really dropping barely on it and it dips to 50s REALLY on it and i saw 43ish before i let off the gas immediately thought the worst and maybe i had some crap in the tank and clogged the filters, which of course were changed before first fire with the new injectors, but no help. I even readjusted the regulator and cant even get it higher than 66 at idle.

so the short wind of it did i kill my pump with it set so high? im guessing its on its way out so im looking for a replacement but wondering if i should get another oem or go all in on an airdog or similar. I should mention also that this pump is only about 16 months old or so, but when i pulled my sinister blue spring to do the regulated return the rubber o-rings looked like their had been a chemical breakdown and i think maybe the pump has seen some damage from the same thing,

also opinions on if i go aftermarket leaning on the airdog 4g 165 probably overkill because this is the biggest i will ever go with injectors, its a work truck not a race truck so it needs to be reliable and pull for a living. im up north so like the idea that i can add a heater, had too many problems last year with gelling (im leaning on the 911 is what broke down the o rings in the fpr housing)

any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imo the stock pump is the most reliable. Some have made it over 200k on the original. As for pressure, higher pressure does put more strain on the pump but they are designed to produce over 100 psi. Recommend pressure is 60-65 but 70 won't hurt anything. The main reason for not over pressure the system is risking damage of injector o-rings. The stock pump should hold 155/stock injectors with a street tune. Your pump or regulator is definitely bad. Xdp has the racor pump for 113+Shipping. Was the 16 month old pump oem? Maybe you just got a bad one. If some additive is eating o-rings thats a pretty bad problem, there's probably 30 o-rings in that system. Millions make it through those cold winters with stock fuel pumps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
👍🏻 Thanks for the direction. I assume there’s really no way to test the regulator and since I can’t push it up past 60ish not that the pump just isn’t making anymore. Can have 70psi of regulated fuel if there isn’t 70psi of supply. Ordered the pump I’ll report back as soon as I get it in.

And no I think the hfcm is the only thing I haven’t put in this truck. Bought it “close out price” from rock auto and no warranty was specified. I believe it’s a carter... only put it on because the original was a little noisy and I couldn’t get the water separator undone one day. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Pull the fuel return line off the regulator -- if fuel is pushing out, then there is your problem

Reactions: Pyro-z

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it only loses pressure under load. It’ll idle all day long without budging. I assume you mean the truck would be running when I pull the return?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure if its still getting worse but yesterday pulling the 4-5 ton job trailer it took me a really long time to get to 60 while watching the pressure gauge like a hawk and not letting it dip below 50 new pump showed up yesterday and was tempted to throw it in but got to thinking (dangerous) so during the aforementioned injectors, regulated return, radiator, water pump, exhaust etc i really drug it out had a lot of fun using the ol mustang as my daily driver and the gasser as my work truck so the truck probably sat for like 6 weeks or better... just world work on it a few hours sundays or whatever. so thinking maybe i had some crap in my tank that either settled below the pickup in that time or floated to the surface and was getting "better" fuel right after i put it back on the road in fact iirc the first time i started seeing the psi dip might have been right after i first filled the tank, it sat that whold time with a full tank(they only break down with a full tank, lol) which is the only reason i didnt drop the tank when it was getting the full treatment

so i think im into the tank before replacing the pump.. any pointers? half tempted to just throw a titan in but lots of money for something i dont really need is there any good suppliers for a factory poly tank? i was thinking about a yard tank and being able to take my time cleaning it so i can just swap them rather than having my truck down any longer too cold to drive the mustang with no heat ha

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Why would you need another tank? it is pretty easy to clean out the one you have
and yeah, the 911 is just for short term use
use the white bottle for everyday use

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not bad to clean out the tank. You can do it on a Sunday, just get a 6pk of paper towels. You got to pull the hfcm down off the frame to clean out and change the pump. Get some wd40 and air and clean the pickup and the suction line all at the same time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i should clarify i used white bottle ps every fill up but she froze up on me 3 times last year in -20 weather and one day defiantly received way too much 911...

i was just worried about making sure the tank is good and dry but if i can do it in a day than yeah no need to have another tank to swap in thanks!
one more thing though i do plan on getting a new pickup foot and installing that while im in there but some i see include 2 little cartridge style filters... is that just for the 7.3 guys or?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i wanted this to be a different post but heres the real reason ive been up since 3 am... some times its hard to be that guy and deliver the hard truth but let me have it

So i had a literal nightmare last night that my truck wouldnt start because it was hydrolocked due to a leaking injector.... and ive been lying awake ever since thinking "yeah, thatd explain a few things..."
Im waiting for the sun to come up right now so i can go check my oil level but honestly dont know how else to diagnose that... I have no contribution codes, no smoke past the first 5 mintes, exhaust isnt what id call noxious considering the ^cough^ cats gone... runs like a champ idles smooth injectors are still a little loud which id hoped new ones would help with. havent done a buzz test but on the pre fire they all sound good, dont hear any flat spots in the clicks, not that im sure thatd be an indication of an internal leak. i had posted another question the other day that also might be linked to this

thanks again fellas

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok that took a lot of courage to check but i think im ok the rag i used to wipe the stick had some diesel on it so it was impossible to do a smell test cause it was all over my hands level was if anything a tad low but when i turned the dipstick upside down it "oozed" down in my mind any diesel would make it runnier?

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Wipe the oil on your fingers instead of a rag, so you can "feel" the oil and smell it
your hands will wash

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok sit rep

so i ran the tank down as low as i could less than a a1/4 tank, never have done that before . So low in fact that sharp corners must have starved the pickup and the pressure would momentarily plummet eesh!

so tonight i dropped the tank which seemed to be a complete waste of time she was spotless every rag i pulled out came out as clean as i put it in, just soaked in diesel... the foot was spotless, but i replaced it anyways. the part that concerned me was i had taken a clear plastic hose and shoved it on the engine side supply of the pump and used that to get as much fuel out as i could. it came out looking like a bad beer pour, completely full of bubbles and the tank i was filling had a good 4 inches of "head" on it. of corse i know what youre thinking, but this started before i swapped filters and i took the filter out like 3 times and checked the o ring for twists etc, i had to because i was having a hell of a time priming afterwords, had a ton of bubbles coming out the secondary housing... didnt think much of it at the time just thought maybe it had something to do with the reg return and the extra plumbing to the back of the heads...

anyways put it all back together, put the new pump in primed it no more than 3 times and pressure was 50+ so i fired it up and let it run for about 10 minutes. pressure continued to climb to about 63... i had set it at 65 last time i dinked with it, which was all the old pump could muster. Im hoping it still just has some air. didnt get a chance to road test it, cause my butt needs to start thinking about bed but just thought id put thought to keyboard. ill report back tomorrow. and yes no bid deal dropping the tank. about 4 hours is all it took me

oh forgot to mention i did keep the fuel i dumped from the tank in a clear container so i can check that for water content tomorrow too

thanks fellas!!

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
IF you placed a pusher pump before the HFCM you don't need to feed 70 PSI thru the system. HFCM should be feed with about 15 PSI of fuel pressure. Let the HFCM do it's job which has been reported to work VERY well supplying fuel to the injectors. Then use the fuel regulator (regulated return, whatever you are running) set to the PSI you want to feed the injectors.

I'd even say you need to consider using a fuel sump. This allows gravity to help a bit to feed the lift pump (AirDog, FASS, whatever) fuel so it's not going to starve when running down below 1/4 tank. Yes, we know it's NOT suggested to run below 1/4 tank, but it does happen. It's just another measure of insurance to prevent air getting into the system. Using a fuel sump isn't a problem when you have additional filtration (AirDog, FASS, Dieselsite) before the HFCM. So as long as you keep getting good fuel those issues are kept at bay. Even if you get a bad dose of fuel you can be confident that the filters will work and help keep the majority of the junk out the HFCM.

BTW I ran my 2006 for over 289k with this kind of setup. I was the original owner, I never had any injector issues, truck was sold running quite well with all the original factory injectors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I didn’t put a pusher pump on Got talked out of it so I put a new rancor pump in the hfcm

so no change. Still losing pressure under even the slightest throttle... watching the gauge so I don’t let it fall below 50 but really have to baby it sometimes... so now what? Regulator? Anyone have experience with a warranty claim with either ffd or sinister? I’d have to look cause I wrote it down,but if it’s been in for 800 miles I’d be shocked. If that’s not an option can I buy just the regulator from something like summit? Looks just like a blue aeromotive regulator... read another thread last night (after getting the tank back up) about a tiny pinhole in the supply line between the tank and the pump. But he wasn’t getting any pressure iirc. But it would explain the air I saw in the line when I was draining the tank... I don’t know what else to do. At first it was so good hardly dipped even at wot, fun to drive. Now I’m so worried about pressure I have to baby it at least I know my 5.4 I can smash to the floor, have to to get that damn trailer moving🤣

thanks again guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something else I just thought of worth mentioning... during the first 20 seconds or whatever after startup it’s lower. Soon as the alternator kicks in and volts go up to 14ish psi increases. 1 year old motorcraft alt and 2 brand new motorcraft batteries. Is there a chance theres a faulty driver not sending enough volts to the pump and what’s the best way to test it while the trucks driving?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its normal for the pressure to fluctuate with the volts, at startup the glowplugs are sucking all the power, after they shut off the volts jump up and the pressure does also. Your correct in your thinking either the regulators bad and letting all the fuel return or its sucking air. What kind of fuel line is coming off the regulator? Can you crimp it down some and see if the pressure rises? Be careful and don't let the pressure get to high - it will damage the injector o-rings. When you were playing with your clear hose I was thinking the air was coming from the return not being capped. Anytime you have the lines apart the return to the hfcm must be capped or it will suck air into the system.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts