Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my oil after extensive repairs were done to my truck. I had been running Rotella 15w-40 but switched to Rotella Synthetic 5w-40. I am wondering if my use of the Synthetic 5w-40 was the reason my HPOP went out?? Also had to also change out #8 injector. In my owners manual it indicated to use only 5w weight oil for the coldest of temperatures. I am seriously considering going back to the 15w-40 Rotella dino oil. Any feedback? Thx

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ND, I change my oil religiously at 5k so suspect a good grade of dino oil would suffice. I was afraid of using too light of an oil for lower temps. The coldest it gets here in the winter is a round -10F. Many thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I run it all year round, as well as many other's that I know. You probably just had some bad luck, which happens. I know the feeling of taking care or something and having it break down on you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again my thanks ND, I re-read your message. Are you referring to the 5w-40 Synthetic or the 15w-40 dino? I have only had my truck back 2-days. It was in the shop for almost 4 weeks. I was not due for an oil change yet but after they pulled the valve covers, HPOP and turbo, I wanted to change it as a precaution.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5w-40

I run the Valvoline Blue Extreme 5W-40 (full syn) and my '04 LOVES it! My truck is super picky and finicky and she runs noticeably better since switching to it :nod:

NAPA AUTO PARTS
Can you define "picky and finicky"? After "she" left me stranded beside the side of the road a month ago; an HPOP, #8 injector and rebuilt FICM, I am little nervous. Thx

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx ND, I had picked up 5w-40 T6 but thought I would check out the forum before I actually changed the oil. Think I will go change oil :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Can you define "picky and finicky"? After "she" left me stranded beside the side of the road a month ago; an HPOP, #8 injector and rebuilt FICM, I am little nervous. Thx
She's an early build '04 (10/2003) but has never ever left me stranded. She is very picky about oil changes and filter changes; as in every 3k mi or else she was going to start bucking a little and running rough. Ever since the switch to the Valvoline full syn she runs smoother overall.

I have replaced 1 injector, 1 glow plug, the oil cooler, done an EGR delete, added a coolant filter, replaced my CPS (probably my ICP soon or the harness for it) and switched from the Rotella 15w-40 to the Valvoline.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I run T6 5-40 all year round. The thing to remember about oil weights is that the first number is cold viscosity (in 5-40's case the "5") and the lower the number the smoother flowing it is. It's recommended, regardless of diesel / gas to go to a lighter cold weight in the winter as a 15-40 will be thicker and thus harder to flow the colder it gets compaired to a 5-40 weight.

The "40" portion of the oil is the "hot" viscosity of the oil so the 15-40 and 5-40 flow the same when hot.

Regardless, there's a lot of people here that run 5-40 synthetic (some Rotella T6 and some use others) and I know my 6.0 loves me for it, T6 + Rev-X last oil change cured my stiction right up.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'll be making the change over to Rotella 5-40 very soon with another shot of Rev-x. Where is everyone getting the Rotella 5-40? My local Walmart carried it for a while, but I haven't seen it on the shelf since I decided to switch to it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Next time T6

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
I'll be making the change over to Rotella 5-40 very soon with another shot of Rev-x. Where is everyone getting the Rotella 5-40? My local Walmart carried it for a while, but I haven't seen it on the shelf since I decided to switch to it.
You can find Rotella T6 Synthetic anywhere. I get mine at Wal-Mart, O'Reillys, AutoZone, etc... pretty much wherever/whoever has the best price.

Where are you getting your Rev-X from? I've bought mine off eBay. Every now and then, I'll come across a deal to where one bottle will sell for around $28.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You can find Rotella T6 Synthetic anywhere. I get mine at Wal-Mart, O'Reillys, AutoZone, etc... pretty much wherever/whoever has the best price.

Where are you getting your Rev-X from? I've bought mine off eBay. Every now and then, I'll come across a deal to where one bottle will sell for around $28.
I'll check autozone, advance and oreilleys....I remember walmart selling it for ~$20/gal. I buy my rev-x from little power shop for $65 shipped for 2 bottles.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5w-40

She's an early build '04 (10/2003) but has never ever left me stranded. She is very picky about oil changes and filter changes; as in every 3k mi or else she was going to start bucking a little and running rough. Ever since the switch to the Valvoline full syn she runs smoother overall.

I have replaced 1 injector, 1 glow plug, the oil cooler, done an EGR delete, added a coolant filter, replaced my CPS (probably my ICP soon or the harness for it) and switched from the Rotella 15w-40 to the Valvoline.
Thank you FDG,
Next oil change I will try the Valvoline. I did change oil today and used the 5w-40 Rotella T6 as it is so close to winter. Since I had such major work done, I wanted to get the "old" oil out, new filters installed (both fuel and oil) and in general just check her out. Even with all this, I would still not have anything but a 6.0. :please:

Regards

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I am at dinner with my wife and only read the title. No. Your 6.0 loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
144 Posts
The last 2 times I went to Walmart they only had 3 gallons of T6 on the shelf, I bought all of them each time. Seems odd that they only carry 3 gallons at a time of T6 but 10+ of everything else. I got it for about 21$/gallon. When truck is ready for oil change that's what shes getting, maybe quiet down these injectors a bit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Normally I've found wal mart is the cheapest unless one of the auto parts stores are running a special on it. I got it for $19 a gallon once at Car Quest

1 - 20 of 48 Posts