Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SoCal-F350 6.0
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F350 Lariat 6.0L 4x4 Long Bed - 3" Raise. 73,850 mi.

The parking brake when pushed the first time, goes to the floor. After releasing the brake, the second time it is pushed, it holds as expected.

I just had the brake pads replaced and rotors turned. The mechanics at the brake shop didn't have clue what to do to make it work when pushed the first time.

Does any one know if there is an adjustment to be made? or could it be a part that is worn? I could use some help.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
F350 Lariat 6.0L 4x4 Long Bed - 3" Raise. 73,850 mi.

The parking brake when pushed the first time, goes to the floor. After releasing the brake, the second time it is pushed, it holds as expected.

I just had the brake pads replaced and rotors turned. The mechanics at the brake shop didn't have clue what to do to make it work when pushed the first time.

Does any one know if there is an adjustment to be made? or could it be a part that is worn? I could use some help.

Thanks
Maybe it is self adjusting when pushed the 1st time. I have never used mine so I'm just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the same problem now, never used to do it so I would also like to find out what is causing this!

Sometimes I have to press and release it 3 or 4 times before it will grab correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
yore1961 and GregsSD, both your trucks likely need a new parking brake pedal assembly. The ratcheting assembly has likely worn out. When it fails completely, the parking brake won't even apply.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and I gave it a pretty decent shot at removing and trying to diagnose but realized it would be a really really long job, so I just shot it full of wd-40 and it worked like new.

·
SoCal-F350 6.0
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out and squirted some WD40 at the ratchet and it seems to work great so far. Something else just dawned on me though. I had been putting some side pressure with my foot to the pedal when setting the brake. That may have been part of the problem too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ultimately, I will probably do what we do on cars and trucks that have to have a good ebrake for shows: weld up the self adjusting spring mechanism and put a turnbuckle or 2 in the system. you could do one on the main cable, or one on each side so you can adjust each side.

·
SoCal-F350 6.0
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it is still mostly working the first time after squirting WD40 at it. But M-Chan68 says "worn out part" and I am leaning in that direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts