Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
If it can be posted how much is this kit?

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
This may be a dumb idea but what about using two of your remote cooler setups, one that cools the engine oil and the second plumbed up to cool the transmission oil instead of relying on an air/oil cooler for extra cooling. I'm thinking that way the stock trans cooler could be tossed and that would improve rad / condenser cooling. Most of us have an EGR cooler delete so it's not like it would add too much heat load to the system.

·
Vendor
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
OCveloMan or Turbo60.....

Some stupid questions....

Looks like there is coolant in the system that is higher than the high flow coolant filter....is this why you have to drain the coolant first to clean the high flow coolant filter?
Are you just draining from the driver's side pet**** only?
I assume you then put back the same coolant you drained?

Thank you!
Yes, I open the pet****, let it drian into a 5 gallon bucket, remove the filter, clean it, reinstall it, dump coolant from 5 gallon bucket back into the degas bottle.

This may be a dumb idea but what about using two of your remote cooler setups, one that cools the engine oil and the second plumbed up to cool the transmission oil instead of relying on an air/oil cooler for extra cooling. I'm thinking that way the stock trans cooler could be tossed and that would improve rad / condenser cooling. Most of us have an EGR cooler delete so it's not like it would add too much heat load to the system.
That would probably keep the transmission too hot for my purposes... mine runs around 150*-160* and the coolant temp is usally around 190-200. Given it's a heat exchanger, I would be caution given it would make the trans too hot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I open the pet****, let it drian into a 5 gallon bucket, remove the filter, clean it, reinstall it, dump coolant from 5 gallon bucket back into the degas bottle.
Thank you!

I am leaning toward the IPR solution. Right now my deltas seem OK, but I'd like to delete the egr and replace the oil cooler before I have problems......that way, I don't have to do the studs and head gasket. I plan to run stock, so as long as my head gaskets are still good, I am thinking I should be OK with the OEM head bolts from what I have read here.

The BP solution doesn't seem neccesary for me, I am not planning to tow anything over 5k, and I don't live in extreme heat with mountains.....I'd prefer to save the extra time of install, and money.

ANYONE else running the IPR setup? Any feedback would be appreciated.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bump Bump Bump

·
Vendor
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It's a pretty new kit, you're not going to find a lot of feedback on it aside from the few that are on here. I can tell you, i have zero regret about being a ginny pig.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I just got done installing the kit, haven't got around to do a review yet. It is a great kit very high quality, I am very pleased with it. I am running IRPs coolant manifold to the high flow coolant filter to the oil cooler then back to manifold. Everything with my kit fit great and had no problems with the install.

To the OP install a ball valve on both sides of the coolant filter and you won't have to worry about losing coolant. Just remember to open them when done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seems like the perfect solution. If the claims are correct, It seems I shouldn't be too concerned about dislodging crap during the chemical flushes.......whatever doesn't flush out, should be caught in the high flow filter before ever reaching the cooler.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Seems like the perfect solution. If the claims are correct, It seems I shouldn't be too concerned about dislodging crap during the chemical flushes.......whatever doesn't flush out, should be caught in the high flow filter before ever reaching the cooler.
Sorry been away working on my other secret projects.

The kit retails for $1299 base kit, then you can upgrade to stainless hoses, coolant manifold, IPR high flow coolant filter.
Price and options are here:
REMOVE NON SPONSOR LINK

Using an oil cooler to cool your transmission oil may not be such a great idea because the trans temps run lower than 190 normal operating coolant temps.
The transmission's oil is already plumbed through the radiator so it already has some water cooling. I'm can't get too technical on this because I have not done much R&D work in this area and don't feel it's necessary at this time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Forget about it!!
I would not waste any time or money flushing out your system. There have been several other customers on another thread that has flushed their coolant prior to installing IPR's High Flow Coolant Filter.
After 500-800 miles they were able to filter out more junk.

OCveloman is real meticulous about his truck and I'm pretty sure he did flushes and he also had a brand X bypass coolant filter before we installed the IPR External Oil Cooler Kit with the High Flow Coolant Filter on his truck.
Within less than 2000 miles his oil temps were getting up to 15-20 degrees delta spread and he had to clean out the IPR Coolant filter to get the temps he just posted which was about 3-4 degrees delta.

So, what did we learn? Coolant bypass filters do not work! They may filter a small amount of junk but not enough to stop the oil temps from getting out of spec.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Amazing thread

·
Registered
1 Posts
Filter Plumbing

What are the pick up points for coolant in your coolant filter upgrade if you do not have the IPR cooler and EGR?

ie, where are picking up for continuous flow in that application?

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great info. I love the idea of putting a ball valve on either side of the coolant filter housing to make cleaning a breeze. Any thoughts on including and/or integrating that into the stock kit?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
So to ensure Im understanding this correctly. the IPR External Oil Cooler simply adds a coolant filter pre oil cooler, but relocates the oil cooler from inside the engine valley to infront of the radiator fans as seen in the pictures to make swapping the oil cooler faster w/o need of removing the manifold and all the other junk in the way?

A BPD Oil cooler actually replaces the OEM unit with an oil distribution block that routes the oil to an Air to Air exchanger located infront of the truck?

Im thinking about purchasing one or the other and weighing my options. As of now, nothing is wrong with the truck to warrant am external cooler. This is more preventative maintenance if anything.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What are the pick up points for coolant in your coolant filter upgrade if you do not have the IPR cooler and EGR?

ie, where are picking up for continuous flow in that application?

Thanks
We have 2 ways to pick coolant.
1. passenger side heater hose
2. Coolant manifold

·
Registered
137 Posts
i just installed the ipr kit, along with the gen2 egr delete...i love the system as to putting the ball valves on before and after the filter...I talked to vince about that and its not a good idea they will restrict flow...its all about the flow...I also looked at bpd kit..the thing i didnt like besides the price was that its air cooled...much more varables there...speed of travel...and so on...with the ipr kit you take out all the unknowns about idle, speed, an so on...its based on the coolant...and with the filter filtering 100% of the coolant vers. other brands that only filter lets say 20% on the high side...truley there should never be a need to change oil coolers again...not sayin it wont happen but unlikley...and if so it would be done in 20mins...cheaper more accessable...lol not to mention a little bling around the motor...now i just gotta polish and get my other stuff up to snuff with how vinces product from ipr looks installed...i'm coming up on my first 500 mile filter cleaning...cant wait to see what all i've got in there...and let it be known that i flushed and reverse flushed the system before install who knows what i got in that filter...course what ive said is only my opion...But glad i did it for sure...Hoogie...northern indiana here....

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Build looks great!! Awesome pics btw!! I am curious though since I haven't tackled mine just yet about the harmonic balancer. I noticed in all the pics it was in the same location and that that hole in between two of the bolts was never at 6 o'clock (prior to the nuts going on the studs). Did you not move the balancer? I have heard people not touching and having zero problems, I've heard of people not touching it and bending pushrods and I've heard to put the hole at 6 o'clock. Any info on that subject would be awesome but I don't wanna derail this thread. Again, excellent stuff IPR!!!
never had any issues with not having that hole at the 6 o'clock position.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Great update and pics! It's good to hear and see of the other options out there! I don't think Ill ever have the kind of money to fully bulletproof my truck like I want it too. I love the idea of an EGR delete, but I am not sure if NY is going to start mandating emissions like the already do in NYC. Thanks again for the update :thumb:
I'm not that far from you(springville-only about 30-40 miles south from you)...i've had my egr cooler deleted and egr valve removed for over 6 years and not at all worried.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts