Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just finished a install of the IPR Coolant filter and Manifold. The Manifold was the hardest part with about 1-2 hour to install. The bolt in the back was the hardest. I didn't have a tool with the T30 that was long enough and with enough flexibility to unscrew and screw back in.

You need something that is flexible that can hold the t30 star on the end. It needs to be about 14 inch long.

I had to fab up a tool that I could fit under the turbo and tighten the screw 1/8 turn at a time.

The front screw was easy...Simple extention was able to snug that one down.

Just trying to save the estimated 2-3 hours removing the turbo and placing it back in.

The balance of the filter install was easy. One thing nice about the manifold is it will allow you to back-flush the Oil Cooler by removing the feeder hose from the filter.

Going to run the filter for a few weeks before I dig into a Sunday of Restore/Restore+ ..before swaping the oil cooler.

We'll see how much craaap it grabs after a few weeks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine works great just a few things here to think about.

1. You can use a t30 bit and a 1/4 ratchet wrench to get it in there no need to make a special tool.
2. You must make sure you plumb the hoses correctly or it stops the flow of coolant and cause the oil to overheat.

I had my hoses off and didn't think about it when I out them back on. My oil temps reached 235 and my coolant was just around 200. Couldn't figure out the problem but then it hit me. If you take the flow and put it in the out port it will stop the flow of coolant from the oil cooler. If I didn't monitor my eot/ sect I would of def broke my truck.

All is well now and the filter works great!

Reactions: DrugCzar

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have the turbo on or off when you installed the coolant manifold to the top of the oil cooler..?

Mine was on..so it required very...very small finger tips to reach aroud the ports on the manaifold to get the back screw started.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
There is no reason it should take 2-3 hours to yank the turbo and drop it back it??? Hell there are only 8 total bolts and one wiring harness. Not to bad.

How do you like the coolant filter with manifold overall? I am currently debating getting rid of my Difuzer coolant filter kit and going with the IPR one and manifold.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the turbo on. Dont get me wrong, the back bolt is a turd muffin but it can be done. The wrench have about a 3 degree arc of movement so it did take a lot of time and some frustration but I didnt have to make a new tool.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The IPR coolant filter is in my opinion the current best option. Now the manifold gives you the best flow possible and a clean install. It wont filter before the cooler though which is a shame, It filters just after it.

A big plus is the filter is washable and has a magnet to collect metal bits. I did a flush with the manifold on before I actually put the filter in and I still see a large amount of deposits in the filter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A turd muffin is right!

Installed the IPR Coolant filter with the manifold. It was a pain without removing the turbo. You must get creative and here is how I did it.
1. Remove intake hose and hose going to intercooler.
2. Use a small torx bit, not one that's connected to a square drive or any thing.
3. Feel the bit into the bolt head with right hand and hold it in place.
4. Then use a ratching wrench to reach from the driver side with right hand while holding the bit with in with left.
5. Slip the wrench over the top of the hex and turn one click at a time. Eventually it will come out.
I wish IPR would have sent instructions with the kit. At some point I thought I was going to have to put it all back the way it was until I had time to remove the turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts