Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I want to do this so bad in my truck, but Ipad doesn't have any video inputs. So I can't view my tailgate camera while reversing, or any other camera on it. Does anyone know if their is another brand tablet that has that option?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Back up camera works great in the rear view mirror!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Very nice and extremely cleaver!!! Love the idea.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The backup camera doesn't work thru the iPad/Tab? Oh, how sad.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but what about heated and cooled seats? Those are options I believe I can only control from my factory nav?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I want to do this so bad in my truck, but Ipad doesn't have any video inputs. So I can't view my tailgate camera while reversing, or any other camera on it. Does anyone know if their is another brand tablet that has that option?
I would suggest speaking to an audio shop, what your wanting is possible I have seen it on YouTube check out a channel soundman audio and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This install looks great. I don't have nav so this would be a huge upgrade for me. Probably gonna plan a vacation near Tampa this spring/summer and drop the truck off for a few days while we are at the beach.

Really like how the iPad looks like it was installed that way from the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but what about heated and cooled seats? Those are options I believe I can only control from my factory nav?
I believe that his original post (being lazy and not scrolling back) said that '12 was the highest you could go with this setup, I'm assuming for that very reason. It's hard to get rid of the factory head unit when there is so much touch screen BS incorporated into it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How do you think and iPad or other tablet will hold up to the extreme heat of a parked car interior in the summer after a year or two? I never leave my iPad in the car for this reason.

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
How do you think and iPad or other tablet will hold up to the extreme heat of a parked car interior in the summer after a year or two? I never leave my iPad in the car for this reason.
That's a good question. I've had warnings pop up on my iPhone due to extreme heat after being left in my truck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
iPad is removable, never had over heat issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My question is, is the app convenient? Or do you have to find each radio station manually? Can you use the steering wheel to change station with the ipad mini connected? This is really cool and have been thinking about breaking out the fiberglass products and start building something like this. But i do have couple concerns with the conveniency of this... The maps would be great, movies, internet, emails and all that sounds great... but can i use it as i would use a normal radio is my concern.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes steering wheel controls still work, and you can use the radio, down load the sony app and check it out.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It's in the rear view mirror

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

·
Registered
615 Posts
The piece of crap Kenwood DNX690HD in my truck is failing bit by bit.
List of problems is long, but major ones are
Left front channel has failed
Right front channel is all staticy
Nothing bluetooth will go to rear channels
GPS has lost it's database so no mapping.
iProducts won't work - they connect, but don't work.
Backup camera is all squiggly, worse at night when it shifts modes.
It's pretty unuseable right now and I've been on the hunt to get it repaired.

Stereo shop who did the above install are a bunch of unethical rip-offs. That's Rogers Stereo in Greenville, SC. They are getting sued over this mess.

Been to another shop in Spartinburg about installing the Kenwood 991, but I have such a bad taste in my mouth over Kenwood products I'm looking at other options.

The Tablet option is very attractive to me.

So I've called Soundwaves of Tampa (TampaSteve's company.) Had a long conversation with them about it. They will not ship products anymore, so it's drive to Tampa to get this kind of install done. They have recommended Sonus in TN as someplace closer to me, still a bit of a haul, but much more reasonable.

After long conversations with them about this kind of install, my impression from them is that
1. The i-products work better in this application.
2. Backup camera functionality is lost. Yes there are wifi cameras, but there's no way to trigger them that the truck is in reverse. You'll have to hit a button and it's like 20sec later that it comes on. The technology just isn't quite there yet. So you have to do a rear view mirror backup camera system which is pretty spendy + a much smaller screen.
3. Unless you care about surfing the net and playing Angry birds on it a dedicated 'care stereo' is a much more reasonable install.
4. The Pioneer NEX 8000 is a better product than the Kenwood DNX991HD.
5. For those of you with the 2013+ trucks your climate control runs thru the stereo and you'll lose this function with the Pioneer. Does not apply in my case since I have a '12 with dedicated buttons.

So that's where I'm at right now. I want to throw that darn Kenwood as far as my arms will pitch it. Probably going to be taking a hard look at the Pioneer as a solution to this problem. It does loose some functionality with Sync - like gauge monitoring and whatnot, but the Kenwood will block my tuner if any of that is enabled so there's no loss there.

I would love to have an Android tablet in there, but it from my conversations with both installers of iPads and Tabs that the tech just isn't there yet and a dedicated car stereo is not only less expensive, but will function better in a car. :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would love to have an Android tablet in there, but it from my conversations with both installers of iPads and Tabs that the tech just isn't there yet and a dedicated car stereo is not only less expensive, but will function better in a car. :(
Have you considered going with the OEM navigation unit? I know the newer (2013 +) models with the MFT system have some issues but the OEM navigation system that was made for your truck is really nice and you would maintain full factory integration with all of your trucks features (steering wheel controls, Sync, etc.). The system can be setup as factory with the cheap little OEM amplifier or with custom programming, the system can be set with a flat EQ and connected to any external amp or DSP you prefer. These system can also be setup to allow the rear camera to be displayed...in fact you could display it in both the head unit and the rear view mirror if you wanted.

The guys at 4D tech (4D Tech, Inc. | Ford Navigation Upgrade Kits and Accessories) have done several of these and really know what they are doing. You should look into it...for the same money (or possibly less) you would spend on an after market unit that doesn't integrate fully with your existing equipment, you could get a fully OEM head unit that integrates properly with all of your factory equipment add your own speakers, amp and DSP and have a really nice, well integrated system.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts