Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The white smoke indicates water so maybe look into water in the fuel system and or head gasket but you said not loosing water from coolant.
Try radiator pressure test also just to be sure its not leaking small amounts of water in the cylinders
Good luck
I will, I had around 30,000 on it today and didn’t lose a drop. Doing the head studs and everything in august. If the stupid egr can just hold together a little while longer

·
Registered
53 Posts
What happens when you 'mash the gas' on a diesel? Timing advances and you get full chooch out of the injectors. You mention that the white smoke happens when you get on it at low RPM and under load. The white smoke is most likely fuel that hasn't ignited. In order to ignite, the fuel must be injected far enough ahead of TDC so that the fire starts just past TDC to push the piston down. If you don't have enough velocity on the pistons they will not create enough heat and turbulence to light the fuel. It is a very fine line. Solution: choose a proper gear for higher RPMs.

My kubota tractor does the same thing when I hit a heavy patch of grass while mowing the pasture. If the RPMs are up it is black smoke. At low RPMs it is white smoke.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What happens when you 'mash the gas' on a diesel? Timing advances and you get full chooch out of the injectors. You mention that the white smoke happens when you get on it at low RPM and under load. The white smoke is most likely fuel that hasn't ignited. In order to ignite, the fuel must be injected far enough ahead of TDC so that the fire starts just past TDC to push the piston down. If you don't have enough velocity on the pistons they will not create enough heat and turbulence to light the fuel. It is a very fine line. Solution: choose a proper gear for higher RPMs.

My kubota tractor does the same thing when I hit a heavy patch of grass while mowing the pasture. If the RPMs are up it is black smoke. At low RPMs it is white smoke.
See that’s kind of my thought on it. My big tractors do the same thing. I just worried about the 6.0 because of the weak egr on it, like I say I was forced to lug it with a 110 and a hay roller the other day and it didn’t smoke a drop. When it smoked it was just like my idi when timing was retarded then it cleared up. Actually my idi may have done the same thing. The idi just never saw the weight this 6.0 does.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,363 Posts
No evidence of EGR cooler leaking (ie no sludge or carbon balls in the intake)?

The coolant isn't going to play into this issue, but it is a good choice.
I asked you the above question and didn't see an answer.

Any sludge or carbon balls in the intake when you cleaned the EGR valve?

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I asked you the above question and didn't see an answer.

Any sludge or carbon balls in the intake when you cleaned the EGR valve?
Sorry I apologize, I’m doing a egr spool valve this weekend and will have a good chance to check for issues. Thank you for all the help and I will update this weekend.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,363 Posts
The condition of the EGR valve and intake under the EGR valve can be an indication of a leaking EGR cooler.

You do realize that with the EGR cooler still in place, even with a plug installed where the EGR valve goes, combustion gasses can still get into the coolant, right? You can even get coolant in the exhaust.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The condition of the EGR valve and intake under the EGR valve can be an indication of a leaking EGR cooler.

You do realize that with the EGR cooler still in place, even with a plug installed where the EGR valve goes, combustion gasses can still get into the coolant, right? You can even get coolant in the exhaust.
Yessir I do, the exhaust can come through a crack in the cooler and put positive pressure on the coolant system. And yes the coolant can drip down I do realize that. My main concern is keeping the egr and everything out of the intake until I do my modifications. If it is leaking if I can just limp it by for a little bit it’s golden. If it goes right now I have no easy way of working on it and will just have to grab one of the other trucks.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I hear ya!
I will update you this weekend on the ebp, egr condition, and the map. Thank you so much for being helpful. Maybe I didn’t need to start this forum but it was such a weird quirk I couldn’t find another forum like it. I hope somebody can use it one day to help their truck. Obviously I’m about to spend some serious dough on bulletproofing it and like we have discussed it maybe a problem that is easily fixed. Or perhaps it is a quirk of the straightdrive and tuning. I hope to post a good positive update this weekend.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I hear ya!
Welp I have a very pleasant report. I have had a very successful day. I got my egr test valve early so I quickly got about putting it in. I’m not going to lie I was a little scared of what I might have found. Well so after 20 minutes of fighting I got the egr valve out. It was so dry and dusty it came back and hit me in the face. Then I looked under it and saw some wetness. I got scared so I began checking it. Well I verified that it was just oil and that the entirety of the egr valve and egr hole was dry. I believe it is a overfueling issue with the straightdrive and lugging. I am just running canned tunes so I can completely understand this. Now time to cut my coolant filter open.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts