Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,362 Posts
So nothing stands out there.

When is the last time the EGR valve was pulled and inspected? I really do not lile the 04.5 and up EGR coolers!

Has the turbo ever been "cleaned" or reconditioned?

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just couldn’t figure it out, I’m doing the studs and the whole nine yards in about 2 months so If I can get it by till then I’m golden if not I’ve got 4 other trucks. Just don’t want it to crap out on me with the bulldozer on the back of it. I like that lariat interior and the straightdrive.

·
10,362 Posts
No evidence of EGR cooler leaking (ie no sludge or carbon balls in the intake)?

The coolant isn't going to play into this issue, but it is a good choice.

·
10,362 Posts
Some free things to try -

Remove the EBP sensor and clean the tube (make sure it is clear all the way to the exhaust manifold). Post a picture of the sensor end of the EBP. It may need cleaning.

Remove the MAP sensor hose. Inspect it carefully (ie no holes or tears, and not plugged). Insert a small wire into the intake manifold nipple that the MAP sensor hose attaches to. Make sure it is clear.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Some free things to try -

Remove the EBP sensor and clean the tube (make sure it is clear all the way to the exhaust manifold). Post a picture of the sensor end of the EBP. It may need cleaning.

Remove the MAP sensor hose. Inspect it carefully (ie no holes or tears, and not plugged). Insert a small wire into the intake manifold nipple that the MAP sensor hose attaches to. Make sure it is clear.
I will try to tonight when I get in. I swear it is just the weirdest thing.

·
10,362 Posts
Seems like most people don't like the "buy ForScan" advice, and I understand that the average owner doesn't want to become a "Tech". That said, it is cheap and easy, and it has a potential of enabling us to solve an issue for the owner for no cost (except for the $40 purchase) vs $150 an hour diagnostic time.

·
10,362 Posts
Be sure to have a wrench on the EBP tube and one on the sensor. You do not want to twist the EBP tube.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Be sure to have a wrench on the EBP tube and one on the sensor. You do not want to twist the EBP tube.
I will thank you, I completely forgot but right before this started happening I got a tank of bad diesel. It should be run out by now but could it just be burning off some of the water

·
10,362 Posts
Could be. If it gets past the primary filter it is very hard on injectors. Usually you can tell if you got bad fuel by inspecting the primary filter.

Also, hopefully you routinely drain the water from the primary fuel filter. You should do that every month or so.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Could be. If it gets past the primary filter it is very hard on injectors. Usually you can tell if you got bad fuel by inspecting the primary filter.

Also, hopefully you routinely drain the water from the primary fuel filter. You should do that every month or so.
The fuel is pretty good now I drained it 3 times in one day when the watered down diesel got put in its clean now

·
10,362 Posts
Good deal for the clean fuel.

Making it do what you describe sounds like the tuning doesn't match the turbo or the injectors.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Update I believe it is a sticking egr valve. I know this isn’t a typical symptom but I have ran it all day with egr unplugged and I haven’t gotten a bit of smoke. Going to check for signs of leakage when my spool valve gets here. Hopefully if it is a leak I can get by till august when I do the full bulletproofing.

·
Registered
2011 Ford F 250 6.7 powerstoke
3 Posts
The white smoke indicates water so maybe look into water in the fuel system and or head gasket but you said not loosing water from coolant.
Try radiator pressure test also just to be sure its not leaking small amounts of water in the cylinders
Good luck

21 - 40 of 51 Posts