Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I’ve been trying to figure out a intermittent white smoke condition on my 6.0. The problem typically arises if I bog the engine down then get back into it. I am running a straight drive and it happens if I bog the engine down below 1000 rpm and get back into it. Note, it will typically only happen in a high gear. It happened once in 2nd but I was full throttle trying not to let the motor kill out on a hill with a load. I am not loosing any coolant, (that I can see), and the smoke goes away once the turbo builds up. I have no codes, no drivability issues nothing. I am stumped.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,361 Posts
What are you using to retrieve codes?

What mods do you have?

What recent work has been done to the engine?

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you using to retrieve codes?

What mods do you have?

What recent work has been done to the engine?
I am using a sct tuner. My only mods are the blue spring upgrade, obviously the tow tune, S&B intake, coolant filter and that is it. My deltas usually run 5-10 degrees apart.

·
10,361 Posts
SCT tuner will not retrieve all the codes.

You need ForScan to do that. $6 download to a smartphone and a $35 adapter (BAFX is a good and inexpensive adapter, there are more expensive ones, but they don't do a whole lot more than the BAFX). If you own a 6.0L, then you need a capable scan tool and this one is very good and cheap.

So your EGR system is still intact?
Your injectors are stock?

As asked before - any recent work?

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SCT tuner will not retrieve all the codes.

You need ForScan to do that. $6 download to a smartphone and a $35 adapter (BAFX is a good and inexpensive adapter, there are more expensive ones, but they don't do a whole lot more than the BAFX). If you own a 6.0L, then you need a capable scan tool and this one is very good and cheap.

So your EGR system is still intact?
Your injectors are stock?

As asked before - any recent work?
Alright thank you. The egr system is still intact and my injectors are stock. The truck only has 43,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thank you. The egr system is still intact and my injectors are stock. The truck only has 43,000 miles on it.
Sorry and I forgot the motor has never been worked on except for General maintenance. And I am not getting any pressure out of the degas bottle. It just showed up one day. Has me stumped but the truck runs like a top. I am also not getting any steam or any drips out of the tailpipe.

·
10,361 Posts
Under your screen name, you state it is a 2004 truck. Is it an early 04 or a late 04? The two engines are different in quite a few areas. Control strategy is one way they are different. The 03 engine strategy will not use the EBP sensor for turbo operation if it had a flash update after 2006 (and it most likely has), the 04 engine strategy relies on the EBP sensor. In addition to not pulling codes thoroughly, the SCT does not read EBP values accurately.

Anyway, for troubleshooting purposes, the year engine in your 04 truck makes a difference.

Also, since the truck has the blue spring, have you ever verified fuel pressure?

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry and I forgot the motor has never been worked on except for General maintenance. And I am not getting any pressure out of the degas bottle. It just showed up one day. Has me stumped but the truck runs like a top. I am also not getting any steam or any drips out of the tailpipe.
Under your screen name, you state it is a 2004 truck. Is it an early 04 or a late 04? The two engines are different in quite a few areas. Control strategy is one way they are different. The 03 engine strategy will not use the EBP sensor for turbo operation if it had a flash update after 2006 (and it most likely has), the 04 engine strategy relies on the EBP sensor. In addition to not pulling codes thoroughly, the SCT does not read EBP values accurately.

Anyway, for troubleshooting purposes, the year engine in your 04 truck makes a difference.

Also, since the truck has the blue spring, have you ever verified fuel pressure?
my truck is a early 04. I have not verified fuel pressure. My truck has the 2005 flash. Whatever card Ford put in there has worn off but I can still see the 05 flash. I also have the 04 style updated egr cooler. It’s still the factory cooler. This is going to sound weird but I got my dads 06 to do the same thing and his is running deleted. We’ve had 100% humidity the last few days out in the hayfields. Was wondering if it had something to do with the humidity. Thank you for trying to help I know this all sounds weird that’s why I had to turn to the org lol

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my truck is a early 04. I have not verified fuel pressure. My truck has the 2005 flash. Whatever card Ford put in there has worn off but I can still see the 05 flash. I also have the 04 style updated egr cooler. It’s still the factory cooler. This is going to sound weird but I got my dads 06 to do the same thing and his is running deleted. We’ve had 100% humidity the last few days out in the hayfields. Was wondering if it had something to do with the humidity. Thank you for trying to help I know this all sounds weird that’s why I had to turn to the org lol
Also I couldn’t get it to do it yesterday with my trailer. I had around 25,000 on it and it didn’t smoke a drop. I hauled that around 20-30 miles and never got anything.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I couldn’t get it to do it yesterday with my trailer. I had around 25,000 on it and it didn’t smoke a drop. I hauled that around 20-30 miles and never got anything.
Also I stated it was white smoke but that may not properly describe it. It is a whitish bluish. I am also at the end of my oil change so I may see if a fresh change helps it any. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also I stated it was white smoke but that may not properly describe it. It is a whitish bluish. I am also at the end of my oil change so I may see if a fresh change helps it any. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.
This will sound really dumb but it usually happens when the truck should black smoke. I know that sounds dumb but it is consistent with when I should be getting a little haze of black smoke. It’s just that whitish blue. In a lug the truck typically will give me a little haze then it’s good and the new smoke does the same thing.

·
10,361 Posts
The 04 updated EGR cooler doesn't fit in the 03 engine without some modifications, the 04 cooler is longer than the 03 cooler. So I am not sure I understand you there.

So your ICP sensor is behind the turbo and not on the passenger valve cover?

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 04 updated EGR cooler doesn't fit in the 03 engine without some modifications, the 04 cooler is longer than the 03 cooler. So I am not sure I understand you there.

So your ICP sensor is behind the turbo and not on the passenger valve cover?
Sorry I thought it might help, my icp is in the same spot as my dads 06 it looks like. Right near the front of the passenger side valve cover. Looks like a nut with a washer made onto it.

·
10,361 Posts
That is a late 04 then. That changed on September 29, 2003. You need to remember the new model years come out approximately 6 months before the calendar year. So the 04's first came out in mid 03 (with exactly the same engine as the 03).

SO your engine uses the EBP sensor.

Post EBP, MAP, and Baro at KOEO ....... and then at idle.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Key on engine off is map 97.00 baro 28.37 exhaust back pressure is 97.00
Yeah...back to the SCT thing - unfortunately, the SCT devices are known to read EBP incorrectly. You really need a bluetooth OBDII dongle & app/program like Forscan. It is a good code reader AND a good monitor.

-jokester

·
Registered
2004 F350 6.0 six speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah...back to the SCT thing - unfortunately, the SCT devices are known to read EBP incorrectly. You really need a bluetooth OBDII dongle & app/program like Forscan. It is a good code reader AND a good monitor.

-jokester
I gotcha, I know this sounds weird but it is towards the end of the oil change interval could it be something weird with the oil?

·
10,361 Posts
What are the "units" on those readings?

If MAP is in kpa, then that is around 14.1 psi, and that sounds reasonable.
Baro is probably inches of mercury which is 13.9 psi. That also sounds reasonable.

EBP, well I'm just not confident in it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts