Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago my transmission started behaving strangely. Everything would be fine and then all of a sudden the transmission dash light would come on and I would lose power. Hitting the gas doesn't accelerate, the truck just kinda shakes. If I shift to neutral and coast for about 6-10 seconds the light will go off and then I can shift back into drive and everything works normally. :dunno: It just seems to randomly do this. It seems to happen mostly speeds of 40mph and up. My trans temps usually hover in the low 100s but never get above 150.
I took it to the local auto parts store today to get the codes but the reader isn't showing any thrown codes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the tranny light comes on that means your about to blow up your tranny, and you need to not punch the gas. Its probably your torque convertor shifting into overdrive

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Um, first, generic OBDII scanners will not work on these trucks, you will need a good scanner like Auto Enginuity or Snap-On, etc. Second, What dash light are you referring to? I can;t think of any "Tranny light" int he dash. :dunno:

The O/D light on the shifter is the tranny light, and when it flashes that means there is a transmission code.

Could you be referring to your Water in Fuel light? (WIF?)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wow im an idiot :doh: the o/d light is what i was thinking of.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, first, generic OBDII scanners will not work on these trucks, you will need a good scanner like Auto Enginuity or Snap-On, etc. Second, What dash light are you referring to? I can;t think of any "Tranny light" int he dash. :dunno:

The O/D light on the shifter is the tranny light, and when it flashes that means there is a transmission code.

Could you be referring to your Water in Fuel light? (WIF?)
I just realized the light was the check engine light. It just looked more like a transmission to me :doh:

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
I just realized the light was the check engine light. It just looked more like a transmission to me :doh:
In that case, I would try a new FORD CPS. :nod: Even if that's not it, you should have a spare anyway. :wink[3]:

Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page<

You could try unplugging the ICP also and see if that clears it up.

BUT: Your best bet would be to find a good scanner, either borrow one of buy one. I have the Auto Enginuity with Ford pack, $360 TYD, and 100% worth it. :thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just reseated the PCM(updated my tunes) so that's eliminated. I guess next up is to try unplugging the ICP.
What does unplugging the ICP do?

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
I just reseated the PCM(updated my tunes) so that's eliminated. I guess next up is to try unplugging the ICP.
What does unplugging the ICP do?
Makes the PCM use default setting. It will give you a CEL but will run fine. Whereas a bad ICP can make it run horribly or not at all. Also check the plug for oil when you unplug it, that's another sign it's bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got some other advice to check the electrical connectors on the inside of the valve covers. I'll dig into this when I get some free time.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
I just got some other advice to check the electrical connectors on the inside of the valve covers. I'll dig into this when I get some free time.
UVCH. That is a possibility. That can cause a couple if not an entire bank of cylinders to stop working.

Did you find info on the $.50 mod?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I just looked it up on youtube. I'm not sure I'd want to run the chance of a quarter jingling about in there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok I checked the UVCH on both sides and they were both a little loose and the clips weren't fully in place. I made sure to tighten them and push the clips in.

Now, when I start the truck the CEL stays on and it runs a bit rough. Any ideas?

Edit: I just tried unplugging the ICP and that did not help. I'm thinking it might be a bad CPS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got a new CPS installed and that didn't help. It seemed like one of the cylinders was dead, the truck was shaking badly, so I felt the headers to see what side wasn't firing. I took off the passenger valve cover again and one of the damn injectors was completely unplugged.

I don't know how I missed that when I had the valve covers off the other day. Now everything is fine. It seems to run a bit smoother and have better throttle response with the new CPS too!

PS - can a mod change the thread title to "UVCH connector issues"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts