Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99.5 with 350,000 miles. Noise coming under the hood while driving like a bearing is spinning that's dry and vibrating. Changed all the pulleys and bearings on the belt and the ps works fine but has a light growl when turning the wheel. The noise is off and on but applying the throttle and brake doesn't change when it occurs or stops. Could the hydroboost make this noise? TIA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Changed out the hydroboost (leaking anyway) and ps pump. Noise is still there. You can feel it in your feet/firewall and the steering wheel. Any ideas?

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you can feel it in your feet it has to be something bigger than a pulley or power steering pump. Possibly a tranny issue, is it an auto or a stick?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto. I had thought about the tranny as well as it sounds like something caveating almost. Thing is the tranny feels fine and there is no slip or surge while driving.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wonder if something like the torque converter could be out of balance somehow , but still work fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Driving us crazy. Noise stopped for a day and we thought it was gone. Now back and worse. The noise usually starts when cruising in town around 1200-1500RPM. I popped it out of OD (auto) and it kept a constant sound and never really changes pitch. Only once or twice when coming to a stop light did the noise keep going all the way to idle then stopped right at idle. Sometimes a bump in the road will cause it to make a quick little hum but thats it. Other times it will go on for 10-60 seconds and then stop and start right back up. Then get going again and it wont make a sound for quite a while. Here is a vid of the noise right at the start and then it stops and goes again. As said I've replaced all tensioner pullies and idler, p.s. pump and hydroboost. You can feel the small vibration during the noise in the steering wheel and the floorboard. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think it is time to check your wheel bearings... I don't know what else it could be:doh:

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
So, does it ever make the noise/vibration when not moving? 'Cause I'm gonna agree with CC above ^.

First thing I would do is to lock the ft hubs IN (don't need to be in 4WD) to eliminate the needle brgs in the ft hubs from spinning and see if that goes away ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does not........ I'm swearing its up higher but I'll def go try it right now and let you guys know. Crow in pocket if thats it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far no noise with the hubs in :) I'll tear into it tomorrow and see what I find. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts