Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, another newbie here! I am hoping someone can help me out with my 2000 7.3 Excursion 4x4 Limited. When I am going slow and making a sharp turn it makes a single loud pop/clank. It sounds almost like someone rapping the driveshaft with a small hammer. It also makes this same noise when you let off the throttle and hit it again at around 40MPH. I have checked the U-Joints and it appears they are OK. It also does it sometimes when you take it out of Park.

It has the Limited Slip 3.73 gear ratio.

Thank You in Advance!
:dunno:

·
Registered
96 Posts
BUMP

I have the same issue. 2002 F350 CC LB 4x4. 5" lift and 35's.

Taking off from a stop, coasting down a hill, then picking up the throttle easy, still produces the sound.

It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear. Sounds like a bad ujoint, but I have replaced all of the u-joints, have greased the slip joint, and checked the bushings on the stabilizer bar. I even unhooked the stabilizer bar and the noise was still there. When laying underneath the brake calipers have some wiggle to them, so I will pull the wheels and make sure everything is good there.

I do have a fair amount of axle wrap and will soon be building some traction bars. Possibly the noise is coming from the u-joint binding up on take off?

Any ideas, short of opening the pumpkin?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Honestly my 08' does the same thing. I cant tell if its the trany or the spider gears in the diff popping into and out of place. I get it really bad if I'm coasting up a hill and then get back into the throttle. Sometimes it feels like somthing is about to break. I had the tec drive it at the dealership and he didnt notice anything wrong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine actually turned out to be the slip joint. I have just regreased it less than 4 months ago, but didn't use hi-pressure FORD grease. The slip joint also appeared to have some slack in it. When I put it back on it fit in two positions. One with slack and one that was tight.

The problem has been totally resolved with the greasing.

Now if I can figure out why the 10k resistor makes it intermittently stumble and idle like it only has 4 cylinders firing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts