Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read thread after thread about similar issues but none that give me a solid answer so I'm trying my own. '08 6.4 powerstroke fully deleted, H&S tuner, 120,000 miles. I'm having an issue where i have light to moderate blue/white smoke from my exhaust but it doesn't happen all the time. Only when it's at operating temperature and at idle. Once im up and moving it either stops doing it or i just cant see it at speed. The first time it happened I didn't drive it for a few days and then drove a week with no issues at all. Over the last month its done it every now and then but not constant at all (of course i only drive it 20-25 miles a week these days), if i shut it down and let it cool off it quits the next time i start it. I don't have any other issues at all with the truck, no missing or rough running, no loss of power, no weird noises, runs like a top just blows embarrassing blue/white smoke at stoplights sometimes. If i catch it doing it and pull the oil fill cap off the smoke slows down and stops, just blows out of the fill cap instead and doesn't seem nearly as bad, just sitting there idling it wont start back coming from the pipe after i put the cap back on. The blow by "test" with the fill cap seems fine, flip the cap upside down and it wont lift it. Stock CCV to S&B intake, the CCV hose is clear, I thought maybe turbo seal but the downpipe is dry, i don't appear to be losing oil or coolant. I really dont want to admit it but the only thing i can think of is I'm losing compression on a cylinder, but again i would think that would be a constant thing and that i would be able to tell a difference in how its running. I have a buddy coming with a scanner tomorrow to see what i can see, I'm just hoping someone here can give me a direction to look in, preferably a direction that doesnt lead to a new engine. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
When its doing it what does the exhaust smell like? Burning oil, coolant, or fuel?

Its probably an injector... Compression loss would show up with excessive blow by, and it sounds like you ruled that out. Are you overfull on oil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t really decide if it smells like diesel or oil but it definitely does not smell like coolant. I’ve only driven it maybe 300 miles since my last oil change and I’ve been watching it but no noticeable difference, at least not yet. Still feels and smells and looks like clean oil on the stick. I had buddy put it on his scanner and run an injector balance test which came out good but it wasn’t acting up at the time. I drove it today with the scanner hooked up watching short term fuel trim (admittedly I’m not exactly sure what that is) it did start smoking but I didn’t see anything eye catching on the scanner, spikes on all cylinders but only up to plus or minus 2 or 3. The worst was either +7 or -7 but from what I’ve been reading +/- 5-8 is acceptable. Is there something particular I should be looking for on a scanner to figure out if I do have an injector issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upon further investigation i've decided it does not smell like diesel. As i pulled in my driveway a minute ago it was billowing smoke but as i sat in the driveway idleing it calmed down to where i could just see a haze about 6 ft off the ground, so light i couldnt see it actually coming out of the pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up being turbo seals. Went ahead and upgraded both to 59/71 while I was at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts