Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 2002 7.3 have a WOT switch that turns off the air conditioning compressor? Seems that my F350 will stop blowing cold air (fan still blowing) when I'm accelerating or even maintaining MPH on even the slightest grades. If I take my foot off the cold air temp will come back immediately. Back on the fuel and I can feel the air temp getting warmer, not heater warm just ambient warm. I know my clutch fan is poor (on the list to replace this week) but I installed an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator that is fed by a relay (relay coil is picked up off the compressor power).
The ac system doesn't default to the defroster vents. With this, I assume the vacuum pump is working.
The WOT (wide open throttle) switch is used on my 91 Z28 Camaro so that's why I was wonder if my 7.3 had one also. Any/all ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
no WOT switch. If AC quits while at higher RPMs, might be the low pressure switch is right at the edge of opening and the decreased suction pressure due to rpm increase, opens circuit and shuts off compressor. Can remove switch connector and jumper to test,

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll check out both of these ideas. Thanks again

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First drive after replacing the engine clutch fan and the a/c didn't go off. Strange but I'll need more drive time to verify the results. I will say that the engine coolant gauge (aftermarket gauge on the "A" pillar) dropped from just over 200* (thermostat open temp rating 203*) to 195* I hear the FORD clutch locking up more than I ever did with the O'Reilly clutch. Since the O fan clutch is/was lifetime guaranteed I took it back for a new one (which I'll never use)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts