Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 f350 crew cab 7.3 long bed. I've tried a bunch of store bought products to restore the plastics but they fade back to normal in a few weeks and are slippery. I have the tan interior and around the windows on the doors parts are fading to a white sun bleached look. does anyone have a way they'd recommend restoring them, i thought about repainting them as well, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,511 Posts
Painting maybe the best bet.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have used silicone tire dressing on my window seals to keep them soft and dark. Put it on heavy but not dripping, let it soak in for a while then wipe off so it doesn't run. THEN wash the truck to remove any stray silicone on the paint but lay off the rubber parts. Dry the plastic parts, and wipe well with rubbing alcohol and let air dry. I painted all my plastic trim gloss black using Rustoleum's high performance enamel in the tall silver can, and it has been surprisingly durable, even on plastic step/running board, with an occasional touch-up. I have been VERY pleased not to have to constantly dress my truck and my black trim POPS ! I decided I like the sleek look of body color door handles so I alcohol prepped then painted them and my tailgate handle with DupliColor matching paint. I'm very pleased... Save Tire Wet for the tires!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very fine steel wool and some wd40. Rinse off with hot soapy water and then wipe down with armor all or some other alternative to protect the plastic.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Man, I'm sorry... I was reading two posts about painting and responded here about the black exterior trim. My bad!
The BEST INTERIOR paint I've used has been SEM and I'm planning to try some Colorbond in the near future. Again, I used a bottle of the 93% rubbing alcohol to wipe everything down and use very very light coats... it worked very well on some mystery spot on my dash and the tops of my door panels. Worked so well I didn't even hafta paint the whole thing, it just blended in. I'm planning to use the Colorbond to try to restore the finish on my steering wheel. If it's a bust, I can always paint over or just get another one. There are SO MANY shades of parchment...

·
Registered
404 Posts
color bond very good stuff, factory finish and durable, used it myself

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
A heat gun works pretty well getting the color back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts