Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently test drove both of the aforementioned trucks. Honestly, they don't feel much faster or more peppy than my 7.3 with the +65 HP daily driver tune. I was extremely disappointed. I can tell a huge difference between my 7.3 in stock versus the +65 hp tune so I expected a huge difference on the new 6.7s.

Overall, I hate to say it as I'm a Ford guy as are my parents but I think I like the new RAM better. It's also cheaper. I'll probably stay with my 7.3. I low balled a couple dealers and I doubt they'll bite. I also found a dealership selling a tuned and deleted truck. I thought that was illegal (federal level).

One thing I hate about both of the new ones is how quiet they are (especially the powersmoke). I like to hear my diesel.
Anyone care to comment?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
elementary mathematics seem to imply that 7.3 > 6.7

seriously though, the newer engines have incredible amounts of power and lower emissions, at the cost of longevity and simplicity

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a tuned 6.0 with a stage 2 turbo and I notice an immense difference in power to my stock 16 6.7 I have now. My 6.7 as is would walk the dog on my 6.0 any day and twice on sunday. That being said yes I agree with you on wanting to actually be able to hear my truck but what can you say when 70% of the people who buy these things anymore are buying them to get groceries.

Reactions: bc_vickers

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a tuned 6.0 with a stage 2 turbo and I notice an immense difference in power to my stock 16 6.7 I have now. My 6.7 as is would walk the dog on my 6.0 any day and twice on sunday. That being said yes I agree with you on wanting to actually be able to hear my truck but what can you say when 70% of the people who buy these things anymore are buying them to get groceries.
Really? You're saying the 6.7 is better?

I wasn't overly impressed. I expected it to run like a raped ape but it didn't seem to be that much quicker on the get go. I assume that they tow better than the 7.3 but it's just a redneck Cadillac for me and yes I do use it to get groceries on Sundays.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder if your dealership had the my key controls activated so you didn't flogg their truck.

The 6.7 is so much more powerful than a 7.3 and in every way quicker.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
I love my 7.3l as evidenced by the money and time invested in a 21 yr old truck and if I really NEEDED a diesel anymore I would in a heartbeat grab a 2014 plus 6.7l Cummins or Ford. Im a Ford guy but all of our 6.7ls at my fathers shop ride better, turn sharper, haul more easily, better sound system, better seats etc. I'll admit i wouldn't need 60% of the buttons in the cab but they don't make the simple stuff anymore so its a meet me in the middle.

I just don't truly need a work truck anymore so I kept the 7.3l because its still cheaper to sit until I move anything with it then to rent a truck. Plus the wifes subaru won't pull the side by side or carry lumber.

My personal experience is the 6.7L cummins and Powerstroke are way more powerful and if im being completely honest probably a better engine if you just consider how hard its going to be to find parts in 5-10 yrs for the 99-03 7.3ls. things wear out and a 30-40yr old truck might not be worth replacing in the end.

the 6.7l Cummins pulls better on hills when towing flay out no ways to argue, but the 6.7l powerstroke has way more get-up! other than that they ran and towed the exact same. The ford will beat it in a race and be the first to reach the hill but if your not careful the cummins will pass on the hill. I also notice approx 2mpg better in every scenario with the cummins running no trailer compared to the ford. Other than that i won't like my next truck will probably be a 2014 or newer cummins just because.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My 7.3 with a 120hp hydra is plenty fast for a truck. If i want to go faster I'll drive my 65 mustang with a 396 engine and 4 speed stick. It will leave any truck in the middle of last year

·
Registered
215 Posts
Really? You're saying the 6.7 is better?

I wasn't overly impressed. I expected it to run like a raped ape but it didn't seem to be that much quicker on the get go. I assume that they tow better than the 7.3 but it's just a redneck Cadillac for me and yes I do use it to get groceries on Sundays.

Yes I am saying my 6.7 out performed my 6.0 in every operation I have used it in from daily driving to towing to just being a stupid idiot with it. The only place i think the 6.0 shined better than my 6.7 was, like we said earlier, the sound. I got many more smiles from that turbo whistle and diesel clatter than I have had with the 6.7 But also I am slightly skiddish to do any modding to this truck since that is when you snowball effect started on the 6.0. Wouldn't change a thing I did to my 6.0 other than spending some more time researching and having a better shop for work.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am saying my 6.7 out performed my 6.0 in every operation I have used it in from daily driving to towing to just being a stupid idiot with it. The only place i think the 6.0 shined better than my 6.7 was, like we said earlier, the sound. I got many more smiles from that turbo whistle and diesel clatter than I have had with the 6.7 But also I am slightly skiddish to do any modding to this truck since that is when you snowball effect started on the 6.0. Wouldn't change a thing I did to my 6.0 other than spending some more time researching and having a better shop for work.
I know the 7.3 guys won't like this comment but I think the 6.0 sounds better than the 7.3. the OBS 7.3s sound better than the NBS 7.3s.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
All you have is 65HP tune on the 7.3? And the 7.3 felt faster than the 6.7 Powerstroke? That doesn't quite add up. Stock form for the 6.7 both my 6.0's were faster but they were also studded/deleted/tuned. Once I deleted the 6.7, there was absolutely no comparison of them anymore.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wonder if your dealership had the my key controls activated so you didn't flogg their truck.

The 6.7 is so much more powerful than a 7.3 and in every way quicker.
Also this. When I bought the 6.7 it had one of the my key things that limited speed to like 80 and would shut off a bunch of stuff in the cab until the seatbelt was buckled. Once I got the "real" key it performed better.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All you have is 65HP tune on the 7.3? And the 7.3 felt faster than the 6.7 Powerstroke? That doesn't quite add up. Stock form for the 6.7 both my 6.0's were faster but they were also studded/deleted/tuned. Once I deleted the 6.7, there was absolutely no comparison of them anymore.
I'm not saying that they weren't faster. The difference between stock and the 65hp tune is like a different truck. I expected both 6.7s to be very different but I found the difference minor. I'm guessing that the big difference is when you are towing that trailer up the hill.

Maybe I didn't have the real key since they let me go solo (covid).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
What year 6.7 was it?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
2015's were updated and should have felt pretty quick.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2015's were updated and should have felt pretty quick.
Actually, looking back at emails the Ford was 2013 and the dodge 2015.

I guess I will just keep my 7.3 now. I go through this every 4-6 months where I start looking at new trucks but always come back to my 7.3. I thought about getting it painted but a color change is going to be around 3k. Last time I went through this I got the Hydra chip.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've also noticed it takes a completely different animal to make anything that is stock "feel" peppier or close to faster than something tuned. Kind of what you're saying, this is strictly an opinion thread. Anything that you judge by seat of the pants test or personal feel test is going to be subjective(or is it objective).

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I know the 7.3 guys won't like this comment but I think the 6.0 sounds better than the 7.3. the OBS 7.3s sound better than the NBS 7.3s.

I have a 06 60 I bought new. A few days after I picked it up I put a 4" turbo back no muff and no cat on. I have an 01 7.3 and 02 7.3 with 4" turbo back no muff and no cat. All 3 sound like an engine inside the cab. I have my radio on 99% of the time and thats all I hear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive a '12 6.7 F-250 at my old job. The only limit was on the top speed, which when passing on the freeway man that truck would hit the 80 mph limit real quick with a ton of batteries in the bed (literally a ton; my job was at a telco, and we were installing batteries for outside plant fiber cabinets). I think a combination of the trans gearing and the added HP/Torque of the 6.7 really helped compared to my 7.3. Of course, my truck is 8,000 pounds empty being a crew cab 4X4 with a camper shell on the back. The 6.7 was probably a few (thousand) pounds lighter, being a single cab long bed work truck with bare-bones interior.

The 6.7 truck was quiet. Very quiet. You could sometimes hear the turbo spool down in a parking lot. I too like hearing my engine, I'd rather listen to the engine than the radio.

Clay

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've recently test drove both of the aforementioned trucks. Honestly, they don't feel much faster or more peppy than my 7.3 with the +65 HP daily driver tune. I was extremely disappointed. I can tell a huge difference between my 7.3 in stock versus the +65 hp tune so I expected a huge difference on the new 6.7s.

Overall, I hate to say it as I'm a Ford guy as are my parents but I think I like the new RAM better. It's also cheaper. I'll probably stay with my 7.3. I low balled a couple dealers and I doubt they'll bite. I also found a dealership selling a tuned and deleted truck. I thought that was illegal (federal level).

One thing I hate about both of the new ones is how quiet they are (especially the powersmoke). I like to hear my diesel.
Anyone care to comment?

I guess if you want the best it would be a a Ford Body, Cummins 6.7 with a Banks Derringer and a Allison Transmission.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts