Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my Marine diesel shop that supplies me with parts and found out that they no longer carry Shell ELC coolant. They are an authorized repair shop and distributor for multiple marine diesel engines including John Deere, Volvo, Cat, Yanmar, and SCANIA. Apparently Scania has found that Fleetguard OAT is the superior coolant. They tested them all and found that the others have been pitting the interiors of their cooling systems. Shell ELC was the worst by far. Not sure if this is specific to marine diesels, but I will be running Fleetguard OAT in my $25k Yanmar engine exclusively and will be promptly flushing the Zerex out of my Powerstroke and filling it with the same.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,089 Posts
You really need to post a link to supporting data for this.

Way too many people using the shell coolant for a lot of years to just post up hearsay. A marine dieselshop doing a serious study on different ELC coolants doesn't quite sound right, but if they are confident of the study, they should be able to provide documentation on it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't the marine diesel shop doing the testing. Scania, a marine diesel engine manufacturer, was who tested the coolants. The testing was done because of they noticed accelerated cooling system pitting. This shop has been in business for a long time and works on up to $50 million dollar yachts, I think I trust them just a little bit.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,089 Posts
Thanks - I missed the part on Scania doing the testing (didn't follow which "they" it was). How about getting a link to their report?? Shell is pretty big too, and I would think that they would have done just as much testing since they have a lot to lose if it truly did do a poor job.

Edit:
Interestingly enough, you can import Scania's brand of coolant from China
http://www.caisa.com/products/134049
Not that it means anything - just wasn't aware of it. They seem to be MOST concerned with corrosion of the lighter metals (other searches).

Main thing I was searching for was a report on ELC coolants and couldn't find one.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will see what I can get from them. Scania recommends to only use Fleetguard OAT in their marine engines.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Highly suspicious of this. I don't think there is much question that Shell's Rotella Ultra ELC is the best product out there right now. I would be interested in what their tests consisted of and what products were compared. Delo ELC is a notch above the others besides the Ultra. There is nothing wrong with any of the ELC's in our trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts