Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,I have an intercooler question for you. What brand are you guys favoring? Spearco, Banks, etc. Part 2: You use a 6.0 stock intercooler on a 7.3 because it is bigger, so with an aftermarket hi-performance intercooler, would this also be true? Go with a 6.0? Thanks

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I know this is for a 7.3 but I have the Spearco on my 6.0 and love it. Temp never goes about 1250 for more than a few seconds and starts to fall back down after that at WOT.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far i'm thinking spearco, but I thought i'd see what you guys like. You know alot more than me at this point. I would like to hear something about using the 6.0 or not.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a 6.0 and over the stock 7.3 it is night and day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Where is the best place to get a 6.0 intercooler and what is a good price?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I see them on e-bay all the time for between $100 and $160.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Hey Guys,I have an intercooler question for you. What brand are you guys favoring? Spearco, Banks, etc. Part 2: You use a 6.0 stock intercooler on a 7.3 because it is bigger, so with an aftermarket hi-performance intercooler, would this also be true? Go with a 6.0? Thanks

What is the primary reason you are looking to replace the intercooler?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
if you buy the spearco they only make one for the 6.0. it works on both you just have to get adapting boots to make it work on your 7.3

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Spearco Makes a direct fit for the 7.3 and a 6.0 retro fit kit.

Diesel

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
oh :lol: so its a 7.3 intercooler and you have to get the adapting boots for the 6.0? same dif. :tard:........................... :sorrysign:

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
There is a direct drop in for the 7.3. Then there is a retro fit 6.0 as well. A total of two different units for sale.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
ah. I was un aware of that. I searched their intercoolers at one time and only found the 6.0 cooler and it was said would work on 7.3 with adapting boots. :D

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
No biggie. Apparrently I read it wrong. I will fix it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just working my way up. My real question still is wether the 6.0 aftermarket performance is still larger than the 7.3 of the same aftermarket performance of the same. Is the 6.0 bigger across the board?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
My Spearco seems to be atleast twice the size of my stock IC.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The 7.3 spearco is thicker and more efficient. The 6.0 spearco is thicker, larger and more efficient than the 7.3 spearco. However the 6.0 can cause problems with the hood latch and/or rubbing on the mounts causing ware holes after a period of time(only a hand full have had this problem).

this is a stock 7.3 and a 7.3 spearco:

This is a stock 6.0 with a spearco 6.0 cooler:

7.3 spearco with a 6.0 spearco:

It also depends on what your power goals are. If you are going to go with a large turbo down the road then I would not install a stock/factory 6.0 since the plastic end tanks seem to not hold up to high boost.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
^ I would have to agree with everything he just posted. I was looking for comparison pictures as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You Early 99 you are a wealth of information.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
just my 2 cents but the 7.3 spearco looks like it would be plenty intercooler for any thing the average guy would need.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Also the Spearco ICs are a stronger design. They have the bar and plate design instead of the fin. So it makes the surface much stronger and also the welded end tanks are a heck of alot better than the plastic ones on alot of the competitors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts