Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through a ton of coolant, looked in the intake and saw it was wet so we figured EGR Cooler. I put a stock blocked one in by a respectable company. I was leaking so much coolant I believe I was hydrolocking the motor :/. Put the cooler in and I'm still having issues with hydrolocking and going through coolant. I pulled the EGR valve out today and its still wet in there....Could failed head gaskets make the intake wet as well? What other things should I be looking for?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
negative. I know I should have but I also didn't pull the intake off the put the egr in. What's BPD?
is there anything other than heads or gaskets I should be looking at?

1,023 Posts
Well your still hydrolocking from coolant? The style of egr delete that you described im not a fan of, sinisters egr delete is all i ever installed. Without the intake being cleaned theres no real way you are going to know if its the egr dummy cooler thats still leaking Just because its capped doesnt mean its going to hold coolant, head gaskets being that bad!? I have never seen them so bad it would hydrolock. You sure its not fuel thats hydrolocking the cylinders? Pull the glow plugs out and crank it see what comes shooting out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the truck hydrolocks, once it starts, steam comes out of the exhaust so I assumed it was coolant. My oil isn't milky and i'm going through about 1/2 gallon of coolant a day now so its gota be going somewhere. When I run the coolant low (No coolant in the reservoir) it never locks up. If I fill it though, locks up every time I let it set for more than an hour or so..

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
That "block off" egr cooler you installed is leaking like there is no tomorrow.
When running, your engine is literally drinking the coolant with the air being forced in by the turbo.
When you shut it down, the coolant is leaking down into the up-pipe and into the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. The coolant is then entering whatever cylinder has the exhaust valves open when you shut it down.
Head gasket failure is a very real possibility.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the egr cooler is pressure tested and garenteed not to leak, although that doesn't mean it can't fail, just not the first thing I'm thinking. I will be hooking up a scan tool to my truck tomorrow to see if there's any codes thrown or what not. I ran an injector test over the winter and replaced the injectors that weren't 100%, that doesn't mean one isn't failing now. When I take my resevior cap off while the truck is running, there is deff pressure being blown out, although I'm not sure if any is normal and if so, how much. I did a coolant leak test with the truck off 2 weeks ago and it passed, but I want to do it again to verify...just looking to see if I should be looking other places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts