Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been monitoring my engine for 4 months now. I felt pretty good about the condition until recently.

Deltas are usually 8-11 at 65 mph depending on OAT. I am planning to do an egr delete, IPR remote cooler, IPR high flow filter, and then whatever else needs replacing when I get in there. I am not planning to do the studs unless the HGs are blown.......

I pulled the egr valve about 2k miles ago, things were mostly dry, but there was a SMALL amount of greasy residue on the bottom of the intake and the bottom of the valve. It was not as bad as some I have seen here, but there apparantly is some moisture of some kind in the intake. I put the valve back in and ran another 2k miles, and checked again......valve was pretty clean and dry, but the manifold looked a little greasy on the bottom, like the previous inspection.

I do not seem to be losing any coolant over the last 4k miles that I have owned it, there aren't any signs of puking.......is there ANY chance that this is something other than a ruptured egr cooler?

Without any coolant loss, I am thinking that if there is an egr cooler leak, it must not be a very big leak YET. Is it possible that the cooler might have a leak that has only acted up when the engine is under high load (previous owner had a heavy gooseneck trailer).....this might explain why I haven't seen any coolant loss in 4k miles that I have driven it.....just wondering out loud...

When I am ready to do the teardown, I do not want to do the HGs and studs unless necessary........should I park the truck until I do the delete?

Thank you :thumb:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Mine is the same exact way.......slightly wet, only on the flat bottom surfaces. No coolant loss, but I have a 24° delta. Just wait a few, someone will tell us we have blown egr coolers. Hehe.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is the same exact way.......slightly wet, only on the flat bottom surfaces. No coolant loss, but I have a 24° delta. Just wait a few, someone will tell us we have blown egr coolers. Hehe.
How does yours run?

Mine runs pretty good, I even averaged 20 mpg's on a recent 400 mile trip. I seem to have a heavier exhaust than I remembered at first though. Seems like it is running rich, looks like black smoke on start up. I can't say that I see any white smoke that would indicate water ingestion.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
How does yours run?

Mine runs pretty good, I even averaged 20 mpg's on a recent 400 mile trip. I seem to have a heavier exhaust than I remembered at first though. Seems like it is running rich, looks like black smoke on start up. I can't say that I see any white smoke that would indicate water ingestion.
Runs fine as far as I can tell, I just been makin short trips with it to cycle the coolant through my new coolant filter before I replace the oil cooler and delete the egr. No smoke whatsoever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am kind of anxious to get into it, because I think other things probably need attention. I am guessing that I probably have a butt load of oil in the boots, and the turbo probably needs attention too. Once I tear things down, I will also do some of the other replacement items. I am not looking to go high performance, so I am hoping the HGs are still good. I guess the only way to know is to run a test with a gauge.....where does one find those pressure gauges anyway?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Traditional parts stores, hydraulic shops, I think I ordered one from mcmaster carr. I dont have any decent parts houses around here. You need a 30 psi, larger or smaller will be harder to diagnose with confidently, unless your gaskets are toast.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Kindof like that.....ashcroft pn 3847K71.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, with an 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch stem?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
It doesn't matter treg, you gotta fit it up to a hose, I used 3/8 hose. Whatever is easiest for you, just best to use the 0-30 psi guage.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I've come across blown EGR coolers on accident with no moisture anywhere near the valve.

Greasy looking valves don't mean for sure the cooler is blown, neither does a dry valve.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Yea, my oasis says the egr cooler was changed at 97k, i've got 169k now. I'm mostly concerned with my oil cooler now, it's getting replaced a soon I can afford it. It's not my dd.

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I deleted my egr the intake manifold was as you describe. I had a lot of oil coming from the ccv, perhaps that's what is making it look wet.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
When I deleted my egr the intake manifold was as you describe. I had a lot of oil coming from the ccv, perhaps that's what is making it look wet.
Yea, I guess you have a valid point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn't matter treg, you gotta fit it up to a hose, I used 3/8 hose. Whatever is easiest for you, just best to use the 0-30 psi guage.
Thank you for the tip, ordering one now:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting thought here...perhaps some could even make it to combustion....maybe that is where some of the excess exhaust smoke is coming from. I guess oil would be blueish?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting thought here...perhaps some could even make it to combustion....maybe that is where some of the excess exhaust smoke is coming from. I guess oil would be blueish?
That would be correct, blueish gray. Oil plus soot turned my intake into a tar trap. My egr was not leaking when I removed it but the black gunk I pulled out was very nasty

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
That would be correct, blueish gray. Oil plus soot turned my intake into a tar trap. My egr was not leaking when I removed it but the black gunk I pulled out was very nasty
So does your truck have alot of blowby, or did the cac and hoses just need to be cleaned?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did the CV reroute when I did mine. It needed to be cleaned of oil but it was not smoking out of the exhaust. I bought the truck used from a dealer that was not a ford dealer so I would imagine they didn't do the proper service to it before I bought it. Since I did the egr delete I also did the ccv reroute at the same time as well as a intake cleaning. Truck was running fine but felt much better after the intake cleaning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the input guys. Given no coolant loss, I think this may be what is going on with mine. I would also describe the residue in the bottom of the intake as "tar". Time to read up on the CCV mod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts