Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a 2001 ford powerstroke 7.3 diesel and I was wondering what you thought the best intake for my truck would be? I took of the K&N today and took it back so what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
if your on a budget I would do the DIY type. gonna cost about 50 bucks anf filter and flow just as well as anything else IMO. If money doesnt matter go with an AFE stage 2. Some people have been running the S&B as well and are liking it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Im running the afe stage 2 and I love the sound when I get on the throttle. but thats my opinion, so go with instinct.

·
Registered
46 Posts
why did you take the kn off. i have kn,been using it for years . no problems no significant evidence of dust in the intake tube. i think they get a bad rap

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
why did you take the kn off. i have kn,been using it for years . no problems no significant evidence of dust in the intake tube. i think they get a bad rap

hes probablty like everyone else and doesnt want an intake system that has been known time and time again to ruin motors on these trucks. In the end its whomevers truck and they can do whatever they want with it, I could care less

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya exactly what schedit said. But Im looking to spend 270-315$ on intake, but I want one that is made for diesel trucks and makes my truck whistle

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Get a real Tymar..its just not worth finding the parts at $4 a gal.
Nothing has been proven to out clean a Donaldson filter period!
Spens $$ on bling or get a Tymar.

Cary

·
Registered
193 Posts
the top turbo choices I have seen are the diy tymar, ais, s&b, and afe2.

the ais is more of a factory sytem..better filtering is its key design..no so much whisle,
the afe2 is known for all out performance and all out high cost...
the s&b is about the best all around as far as sacrificing some flow vs the afe2 but saving lots of dough.
ther diy tymar types are best on the wallet while they are huge so they filter some
and flow decent...looks wise they have a little to be desired unless you get creative.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Mines a DIY Hybrid with an AFE PG5 filter in the same size as the 6637. Its about 180 I think. It flows and Whistles like a MOFO:thumb:

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Anyone that says that you will get more MPG...run..no one can guarantee that. A Tymar or clone will flow all the air you can use and nothing has been proven to clean the air better and it will let you hear the turbo. Looks....I drive with my hood closed.

Cary

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
which one do you reccommend for my price range that adds more whistle and mpg
I dont know what you have planned for your truck but Id say its safe to say the DIY is all your ever gonna need. Dont plan on MPG's with a different intake either, you will be very dissapointed:thumb:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have this, 45.00 from ebay, I've checked every 500 miles for dust in the tubes and turbo, works great, I'll get a 6637 at 10k.

Intake 002 (512 x 384).jpg

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
S&B toy wont be dissapointed :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think Im going to go with the AEM Brute Force Intake system. What do you guys think? I attached pics?? Let me know.:icon_ford:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
I think they are overpriced and their customer service is horrible...I also know of guys having issues with them...but its your call...just my .02

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
really well im trying to stay under 280$ Any suggestions on one that will give me the response and whistle from my turbo???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts