Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Ex with the 6.0PSD. I have seen the after-market intake elbows for a while in the diesel magazines. A buddy of mine just put on the Banks elbows on his Dodge and he swears he notices a difference. I'm not a big fan of Banks due mostly to their customer service and their prices, but I am interested in trying out one of the elbows on the market. I've used Sinister products in the past and I like them, but there are a bunch out there. So I guess what I am wondering is whether or not its worth the money to replace it and if it is, which kit is the best and/or best bang for the buck. I appreciate all information.

Thanks,

John

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
On an '04, with a metal cold side pipe from the factory, unless you are moving beyond electronic progamming (swapping turbo or injectors) you aren't going to see much.

The CFM+ has a decent number of positive reviews. As does a couple of others manufacturers, (Banks and No Limit).

Really don't see the need for an elbow for the cost, there is better gains to be made depending on your current mods.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
I didn't notice a dang increase in anything with my CFM+ Largemouth, except a lighter wallet. IMO, don't waste your money with a aftermarket elbow on a 6.0.

The real restriction is the intake manifold and head ports.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
The CFM+ Largemouth is nice if you want to add water/meth injection since it has 3 ports for you to use.

The No Limit is the best designed out there. Has the best entry into the intake manifold and turn radii.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Don't waste your time. Only reason i got the CFM large mouth kit is because i liked that it had three ports in it. But i removed it in favor of the No Limit cold side CAC pipe. If you really want the CFM large mouth kit i have the carbon fiber one that i'm selling. I'll sell it for $200

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Don't waste your time. Only reason i got the CFM large mouth kit is because i liked that it had three ports in it. But i removed it in favor of the No Limit cold side CAC pipe. If you really want the CFM large mouth kit i have the carbon fiber one that i'm selling. I'll sell it for $200
Jeez Chris, don't make it hard for me to get rid of mine or anything. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well thanks guys... I was gonna get eventually when I got done doin real
Mods but you stopped me lol...

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
I got an Accufab elbow for the boost port. For the cost it's not nearly as bad as some other products out there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2004 as well and I'm planning on getting the cfm+ eventually just to eliminate the EGR throttle plate that is in that year. Im pretty sure a massive butterfly in the intake has got to have a negative effect on air flow lol.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I had a CFM+ and always had issues with it leaking, replaced the gasket and it still leaked. When I checked the bottom with a straight edge I found it wasn't flat, so sealed it with some silicone.
I now have the Accufab polished aluminum elbow which uses the oem o-ring seal.
I would only recommend using a metal elbow due to the sealing problems I had.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
I have a 2004 as well and I'm planning on getting the cfm+ eventually just to eliminate the EGR throttle plate that is in that year. Im pretty sure a massive butterfly in the intake has got to have a negative effect on air flow lol.
You could always by a 05-07 OEM elbow to eliminate the throttle body. Used 05+ elbows are a lot cheaper than the aftermarket elbows.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
just because you have the throttle plate assembly...doesn't mean that there's a butterfly in it. Not all trucks with the throttle plate assembly had the butterfly.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
just because you have the throttle plate assembly...doesn't mean that there's a butterfly in it. Not all trucks with the throttle plate assembly had the butterfly.
I think it's the 03 and early 04 that don't have the butterfly valve in the throttle plate. You can unplug the connecter going to the throttle plate to see if there are pins in the connector on the throttle plate or if it's just a dummy plug to hold the wire harness.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Yep, the 03-early 04 just had the throttle body with no electrics or valve. The late 04's had the electronics and valve.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yep, the 03-early 04 just had the throttle body with no electrics or valve. The late 04's had the electronics and valve.

correct! my cousins '03 and my early '04 have no butterfly in the throttle plate assemble. I have yet to see the butterfly on a late '04. Every late '04 i've seen never had a butterfly. However i have seen them in the very very first production stage of the 6L builds coming off of the assembly line....like decemberish of '02 build date

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have the cfm large mouth kit and it seems to work just fine and easy to install. Not sure I noticed a huge difference but I do feel like the truck ran a little smoother of course with some 04's it removes that awful butterfly throttle plate restriction so that was a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately my truck does have it, i had the boost tube off to install 6.4 banjos and saw it. made me curious as to who would think that is a good idea lol

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
when the 6L's first came out the engineers thought that the egr system might need vacuum so they installed the butterfly...but found out that it wasn't necessary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts